1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

have been signed last 2weels, am I being a wimp now?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by emmamc252, Jan 30, 2011.

1. emmamc252

emmamc252 New commenter

Hi, this is my 1st pregnancy so just looking for your opinions / advice. I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant, I've been off work the last 2 weeks as I was just exhausted and morning sickness was more like all day sickness and just felt awful. So 1st week doc gives me iron tablets and another blood test and tells me to rest. I slept about 12 hours every night and had at least a 2 hour nap every day despite the fact I was barely doing anything! The sickness was just as bad and I just didn't feel "better"
    Went back Dr and he gave me medication to ease the morning sickness and another week off. Said blood test was fine for everything else and iron tablets should make anemia ok. Blood pressure etc fine.
    So im now due back at work on Tuesday, the sickness has eased but the amount that I'm sleeping -the feeling of outright exhaustion really hasn't. I started planning lessons on Friday and did some yesterday and after half hour I was tired- after an hour I felt like I'd ran a marathon.
    This really isn't like me! Half of me wants to go back the soca and ask for another week off, I know there's no medication and I know that this might nit get any better tho, so the other half is just thinking imam going to have to suck it up and go back. It's 2 weeks til half term, I'll live.
    Just want ppl"s brutal honesty, am I just being a wimp? Should I go back and deal with it, or is this happening to lots of pregnant women who are having To have time off? Should I go back dr? I've only met my midwife once and I'm
    Not worried about the baby so don't think
    I need to call her?!
    Thanks for any help x

2. emmamc252

emmamc252 New commenter

Hi, this is my 1st pregnancy so just looking for your opinions / advice. I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant, I've been off work the last 2 weeks as I was just exhausted and morning sickness was more like all day sickness and just felt awful. So 1st week doc gives me iron tablets and another blood test and tells me to rest. I slept about 12 hours every night and had at least a 2 hour nap every day despite the fact I was barely doing anything! The sickness was just as bad and I just didn't feel "better"
    Went back Dr and he gave me medication to ease the morning sickness and another week off. Said blood test was fine for everything else and iron tablets should make anemia ok. Blood pressure etc fine.
    So im now due back at work on Tuesday, the sickness has eased but the amount that I'm sleeping -the feeling of outright exhaustion really hasn't. I started planning lessons on Friday and did some yesterday and after half hour I was tired- after an hour I felt like I'd ran a marathon.
    This really isn't like me! Half of me wants to go back the soca and ask for another week off, I know there's no medication and I know that this might nit get any better tho, so the other half is just thinking imam going to have to suck it up and go back. It's 2 weeks til half term, I'll live.
    Just want ppl"s brutal honesty, am I just being a wimp? Should I go back and deal with it, or is this happening to lots of pregnant women who are having To have time off? Should I go back dr? I've only met my midwife once and I'm
    Not worried about the baby so don't think
    I need to call her?!
    Thanks for any help x

3. Hi, my sil has been like this and been signed off. She isn't a teacher but having the time off has really helped her as she was getting ill -all the bugs going around kept getting her and she felt awful. If you really aren't right I would get signed off again. It is tricky though as I know I wouldn't want to be off. Take care x

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

It's normal to feel exhausted in pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. If you've been sick as well that doesn't help.
    Everyone is different - i'm pregnant with my 2nd and was absolutely shattered from about weeks 6-12, and felt nauseous up to 16 weeks, but I haven't had the option this time of sleeping loads as I have a toddler. I work 0.5 and have had a couple of sick days due to absolute exhaustion and feeling ill. In my 1st pregnancy I felt pretty much the same - i was tired for the first trimester, and would have a sleep sometimes when i got in from work. I still went to the gym though up until 35 weeks, and don't know if that helped.
    Make sure you keep taking your iron tablets and eat plenty of iron-rich foods like spinach, and sleep as much as you can! Maybe try going back to work and see how you feel, then no-one can say you haven't tried! If you still feel rubbish then you can always go off again. Hopefully you'll start feeling better soon.

5. I completely sympathise - I was exactly like this for months! running out of lessons all of the time to be sick and then collapsing on the sofa the minute I got home. I didn't take any time off and looking back regret it enormously - I made the situation worse than it had to be - look after yourself and do what is right for you.

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

On the other hand - you may well feel better at work, because you just have to.

7. emmamc252

emmamc252 New commenter

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go
    Back tomorrow and see how it goes over the next few weeks. Its so hard to be torn between responsibility and prob what's best for you and baby!

8. I was exactly the same, had 2 weeks off after the Xmas holidays with sickness and went back 2 weeks ago followed by OFSTED last week. I am very lucky that I am in a very supportive department and 2 of the Asst Heads are popping in to see me throughout the day to check I am OK. It is tiring and I am still sleeping at least 10 hours a night but you need to listen to your body and rest when it tells you too. The kids have been fantastic, I told them why I had been off and they have been surprisingly well behaved and supportive too = not what I expected from a Secondary school in Special Measures with some challenging behaviour! I am glad I went back though if i'd left it much longer it would have been harder I'm sure!

Message me if you want to chat /rant though!!!

9. acey

acey New commenter

Hi
    Just thought I'd add to other comments seeing as I know exactly where you're coming from.
    I have had the worst sickness and nausea throughout both my pregnancies. 1st pregnancy I suffered from the same tiredness that you are describing. I remember some days having a shower which wiped me out for a good 2 hours where I just had to sleep. Such extreme tiredness. I tried every possible cure other people told me to try but nothing shifted the constant tiredness, nausea and sickness. With this pregnancy, I have been worse actually and in the early days I can remember being so weak I had to crawl around my house to keep up with my 3 yr old daughter in order to get anything done. Sickness went about week 25. I know I am very lucky to be pregnant with my second but these side effects have been hell!
    I have questionned myself so many times - do I really feel this bad? how can others not suffer so badly? how can others keep going to work? what is wrong with me that I feel SO awful and cannot seem to cope with something that is meant to be so natural and happens to millions of women all over the world? The feeling of inadequacy and how bad you feel has brought me down so many times.
    I don't have any answers. Both times I have been signed off for 3-4 weeks when it got really bad. Both times I felt awful about this and so guilty, especially when other pregnant colleagues kept going in and didn't take a day. However, all I could tell myself was if I truly didn't feel this bad, I wouldn't and I couldn't make this up or exaggerate. It is just how you feel and if you cannot cope with work and everything it brings then you just cannot go in. You need to look after yourself.
    I also found that when sickness was subsiding that it was much better to keep busy. But only when I started to feel better. At its worse, there was no way I could cope with day to day school work and stresses. Again if I could have gone in then I would. I knew when I was better.
    Get as much fresh air as you can - I found that helped too. You are 15 weeks so hopefully you won't be feeling bad for TOO much longer! You WILL get through it and live to tell the tale!
    Ange x

10. emmamc252

emmamc252 New commenter

Acey, I would just like to thankyou for your comments, they have really made me feel a lot better. I am going to try going back tomorrow but I am going to see how I feel over the next week or so.
    It does make me feel better to know that its not just me making a mountain out of a mole hill. unfortunately I do not have the most supportive boss in the world when it comes to these matters, I am already dreading having to face her tomorrow. She is very senior in our school and is 100% career motivated, she does have 2 children now grown up but I know that she took 6 weeks maternity for each one and often makes comments about how "the child minder did a good job raising her kids"
    I love my job and my career but i cannot say that it is the centre of my universe, I want to have a family and be a GOOD Mummy more than anything and I think even this small amount of time into my pregnancy I am already beginning to feel how these two worlds just don't seem to mix very well, I constantly feel like I am having to make choices between my job and responsibilities and what is best for me and baby and family.
    thankyou again, x

11. emmamc252

emmamc252 New commenter

just to add, the funny thing is that I am ending up beeting myself up for both aspects, so I feel guilty and terrible for having time off work, but then I also feel guilty for allowing work to stress me out and prioritising it over my own health and therefor the babies!
    So at the minute I'm a **** teacher and a **** mum-to-be! you'd think I would at least be happy with one aspect!!!!

12. Just imagine for a minute that you didn't know you were pregnant and you felt like that, you wouldn't even consider going to work. So why do we feel like we have to battle through it? Some people breeze through pregnancy, some people are really, really ill. That's just how it is, and we shouldn't be judged for it (or judge ourselves!).
    Hope you feel better soon - and don't worry you won't be **** at either!