1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have been offered job but job centre have told me I need to look for another

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by maggieDD, Jul 7, 2011.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I am currently receiving jobseekers allowance and I have been offered a job which doesn't start until September - the job centre have told me I need to look for a 'better' position until September, even though I've told them I have accepted the job offer.
    This is all rather confusing, because even if I were to find a job (within the next two weeks of term) that too wouldn't start until September so I'm assuming I would need to spend the entire summer holiday looking for a better, better job until I start :S confused!

2. This is because to claim JSA you must be looking for work. So you may have a job that starts in Sep that doesn't mean that you can sit at home and claim benefit. You must either sign off and get no money or continue to look for some kind of work over the Summer, eg temping. I am not sure what you mean by a 'better' position though. Well done for getting a job - good for you!

3. Just go in each time you're due to sign show them your job search history and tell them you've been looking and are available to work. My 'adviser' freely admitted the system doesn't cope with professionals like teachers. Play along for the holidays and sign off the last date possible before starting your new job. Good luck for September :)

4. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Thank you:)
    I'm not sure what temporary job I would be able to get over the holidays that would pay my mortgage and child care (bank are currently in agreement to accept interest payments only, as soon as I return to work I need to pay the full amount)

5. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

I'd like to point out that I am not just 'sitting at home' claiming benefit, I am a studying with the Open University, have a part time secretarial job and also volunteer for Home Start

6. I sympathise. JC+ have absolutely no idea about teaching jobs, from where to find them to how to apply to the way the school year works.

7. Sorry I posted in a hurry, and seem to have offended you - I was not implying that you were sitting at home doing nothing, just that the JC+ will not accept you for JSA unless you are actively looking for work - It was in relation to the benefit that you are claiming, in their eyes if you are not actively seeking work you are at home doing nothing - in fact I was speaking from experience! You just need to do as advised here demonstrate that you are searching for temp jobs, you don't actually have to take one. Sorry if I have offended you - not my intention at all!

8. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

That is exactly what I was advised by my Lone Parent Advisor. Also that as a NQT they would not support me finding a teaching job because I have no experience in it. There aren't that many jobs out there, the fact that you looked at a minimum wage job, saw you couldn't afford childcare with it and didn't apply is enough to keep getting JSA. It is just a stupid game you have to play.

9. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Thank you Seagirl, I'm sorry I misunderstood you :)

10. No worries - sometimes it is easy to get it wrong - I'll try and take more time to post in future - good luck!

11. Job centre didn't even check my record of searching or ask this morning and have been the same a few times. They are making me have an interview in 2 weeks though. I have been doing supply but only getting 1 day max per week. I did apply fir call centre jobs for over the summer and shops but keep getting rejected. Just write searched paper/Internet no suitable positions. That's what I am doing. I have no job for September though. Applying for other stuff now!!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

FIRST OF ALL LET'S SAY:
    You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    Make sure you read the thread aboiut What To Do Now.
    As for the stupid system for JSA - yes, you are available for work, but only until Aug 31. So you can look for and apply for all jobs that finish by that date.
    [​IMG]
    Tell them that you are looking therefore for summer jobs only.
    ._____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.