1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

have been more or less offered a job - but still in a dilemma - help please.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ychowdhury, Mar 7, 2012.

1. I applied for a job a few months ago, and they told me that they will get back to me.
    After contacting them twice they finally told me today that the head teacher really wants to recruit me but he has been trying to convince the school board to pay for my husbands visa and for us both to fly out together.

Now, they have asked me what do I think of paying £1500 for my husbands Visa and also coming out alone first and then applying for his visa, so potentially be on my own for a few weeks.

Im not quite sure what to do and if these conditions are popular in Middle East countries.

The head has been on 3 recruitment drives already but still hasnt found anyone suitable for the role, apart from me (thats what they said).

They have asked me to discuss the conditions with my husband and contact them, and that the interviews for the last recruitment drive will finish at the end of march.

They havent made it clear though, if I was unable to meet the conditions if the post will still be available to me.

this is a very confusing comment taht i have written but Im hoping somone can help me.

Thanks

2. Where in the ME are you talking about?

3. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Crystal clear in fact, ychowdhury.
    At best the school is inefficiently organised and run.
    More likely, incompetence and double-dealing have been institutionalised there, by that killer combination of a head who does the leg-work, and a board so preoccupied with counter-productive cost reduction that they end by cutting those legs right off.
    Call their bluff. Tell them to pay for your husband's visa and start the process right now, or it's no deal.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Tell him to grow a set of testicles.
    Tell them you think it sounds like a crock of ****. If they want you, then pay up or else forget about it.
    Seriously, if they are messing you around this much before you are even offered the post, then imagine how bad it is going to be when you are at the school without any support structure.

5. I'm with the dude.
    Did I train you?[​IMG]

6. afterdark

afterdark New commenter

No.
    In the middle East a system of patronage rules.
    The company [school] are your sponsors.
    Can you be your husband's sponsor in the country? [you don't say which one]
    I would be inclined to say 'no' to any school that asks you to fork out this money up front.
    You cannot leave without your sponsors permission.
    Once you get there they can turn around and refuse your husband a visa and you would not be able to leave.
    For a woman, go together with spouse or not at all.
    It is different for men in the Middle East. It is quite normal for men to go and wives to follow later if the husband finds it a suitable place.
    [Please don't shoot the messenger - I don't make the rules in the Middle East]
    Perhaps he meant 'hasn't found anyone gullible enough to fork out 1500 quid up front'
    Please pm me if you want.

7. Actually, did you notice if the Head had spot bruises anywhere on his body?
    It's where people have been jabbing him with a barge pole - for bets.
    No seriously, tell 'em to stuff it.

8. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Don't call their bluff. Just say no. If you insist, and they pay up, they aren't going to change their spots when you arrive at the airport. 3 recruitment drives surely costs less than 1500? Name them and shame them here. Thread will get deleted but who gives one?

9. Sounds like one of these scams where they try to get employees to send money and then it turns out that there was no job.

10. Thanks all :)

11. [​IMG]

12. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

12 seconds? And there I was giving you credit for being at least a minute man (on a good day). [​IMG]

13. Ooops! I meant "wander" obviously... [​IMG]

14. Watch it Seppo!