1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

have anyone actually caused a problem by taking out a memory stick?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon63, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I get so peed off with computers telling me to do stuff. Sometimes I pull the memory pen out of the laptop without properly 'ejecting' it. I get a stupid message telling me I have removed a device and it might cause the computer to blow up / VAT to rise another 2.5% / another million unemployed etc. Yet, miraculously, nothing bad ever seems to happen... Has anyone actually caused a problem by pulling out the thing without asking permission first?
    and, yes, I do know what is *supposed* to happen...I just don't believe it does.

2. I get so peed off with computers telling me to do stuff. Sometimes I pull the memory pen out of the laptop without properly 'ejecting' it. I get a stupid message telling me I have removed a device and it might cause the computer to blow up / VAT to rise another 2.5% / another million unemployed etc. Yet, miraculously, nothing bad ever seems to happen... Has anyone actually caused a problem by pulling out the thing without asking permission first?
    and, yes, I do know what is *supposed* to happen...I just don't believe it does.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I never bother with that baloney either

4. Some years ago, before I knew how to remove safely, I pulled mine out and lost everything on there and rendered it unusable. As you can imagine, there was one heck of a lot of important stuff opn there- not just planning, but lists of handy websites, powerpoints, worksheets and the like. I always always take care now. It's worth the few extra seconds to save many many hours rewriting stuff.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I always do it as someone at work also had their memory stick wiped as a result of not removing it correctly.

6. Is it possible that all the good karma I must be banking from all my selfless deeds is manifesting itself in rubbish stuff like not getting my memory stick wiped when I just pull it out? Is my life rubbish because all my good karma is going on this and stuff like not getting pooed on by birds? Drat.

7. catfordbetty

catfordbetty New commenter

Let me put it this way - I'm typing this with one prosthetic arm.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm not prepared to risk it just to see how many times I get away with it before that happens to me.

9. I lost all of the work once but I still do it

10. I've wipped and destroyed several memory sticks by not removing it correctly. Mainly on computers that don't let you remove the darn things correctly.

11. I've always just yanked them out when done - but then again, I have relatively recent backups of everything on there (mainly cos I always lose them) so would only ever lose a day's work at the most... but I don't tend to use them much for actual storage, just moving documents between PCs and most of my work is done on my netbook which I cart around with me.
    I just lose them constantly - hence never leaving anything I don't have saved on my PCs on them.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've worked with computers in school forever and thus became very smug and complacent about not ejecting USB sticks correctly. What's all the fuss about thought I, just yank the b*gger out.

Until quite recently when a USB stick full of useful stuff died on me when I didn't eject it properly.

One reason why a computer won't let you eject it is if you've got the device open in Windows Explorer to see what's on it. Close the window first then eject it. Properly.

13. It's happened to me loads of times. More likely to happen when you copy lots of large files. It doesn't necessarily cause a problem with all the files and you don't find out until you try to open a specific files. It's only a maybe but if you get the message a lot, it's going to happen one day soon.

14. Again, a cautionary tale... BACK STUFF UP! I'm constantly amazed the number of teachers who have ALL their documents only on a USB drive.
    Colleague once had done all her reports, opened them on a school PC to check them before printing them off and got called away to do something else (as happens in schools the second you sit down)... to cut a long story short, USB drive got nicked and was never found, and she had no reports backed up at all and had to re-do the lot just before the deadline.
    In my case I'm just forever losing flash drives (including my really really cool one that was inside a pen and lit up and looked like sonic screwdriver from Dr Who) so my current one's attached to my car handsfree neckcord!

15. Totally agree. USB sticks are about the least reliable form of storage. They are also the easiest to lose or misplace. Never keep the master copies/important documents on a stick. As a habit, copy it to your hard drive, edit it and copy it back again.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Unless of course you're a civil servant in which case it is practically in your contract to fill it with vital and private data and then leave it lying around in a thoroughly trusting and not at all recklessly incompetent way.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The number of USB sticks I see lying around on teachers' desks and workstations when I'm working supply is unbelievable. I know some belong to kids, but not all.

18. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

As has already been hinted at...don't worry about not ejecting the USB device...worry about your lack of a backup! I'd say it's more likely for the device to be lost or misplaced than it is for it to be rendered useless by incorrect use. ALWAYS keep an up to date backup!!!
    As for the safe ejection thing...well I never bother, although I use a USB hard drive rather than a solid state memory stick. The only time removing the device incorrectly is likely to cause a problem is if it is in the middle of writing a file on the device, or if files are left open.
    In all honesty, the normal working life of a USB stick is relatively short...SO ALWAYS KEEP A BACKUP!!!!!
    Mark

19. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I lost all mywork by not ejecting properly.
    I used Good Sync now. Great programme (not free but does have free trial) and it make sure that my computer, backup and USB all have the latest copies of files. Would recommend. x

20. A member of staff at my school nearly got the sack due to storing reports and other sensitive data on a memory stick! One of the kids could have nicked your colleagues memory stick and have read through everyone's report!
    As for the original topic, I've never lost any data on memory sticks at all. I usually just whip them out and don't bother with the removal thing.
    I tend to back up my files on memory sticks every 2 weeks or so.