1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have any techniques for dealing with challenging boys?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by CharlesEkin, Nov 10, 2016.

1. CharlesEkin

CharlesEkin New commenter

If so, what are they?!
    Hello
    I am doing research for a charity which provides emotional support for young men who have gone through the Criminal Justice System and we are exploring how to offer effective programmes in schools that would support younger boys in becoming emotionally literate, confident, responsible, caring and with a keen sense of purpose. In order to help in this endeavour, I would be really grateful if you could....
    • tell me about your successes. What are the techniques you use that help boys to comply with requests, engage in the task and feel good about themselves?
    • outline the challenges you still face despite your best endeavours. What knowledge or skills would you like to acquire?
    Thank you very much
    Charlie

2. Sunshine-Groups

Sunshine-Groups New commenter

I have worked with difficult , disengaged boys and I have found that working with them on a project in a small group format has worked for me. I have set very clear boundaries and expectations; because the sessions were enjoyable they wanted to be part of them and not excluded from them. For this reason they may have needed the odd warning but then they quickly re engaged, This lead to better engagement in their mainstream lessons too.
    Another strategy I used when I was managing a behaviour unit; whilst they were with us in the unit they were taught maths and English along side conflict resolution and self esteem building. From these I then provided a report for their main stream teachers detailing what issues they had exhibited. These included a range of issues such as; needed something explained in a particular way, earring issues and a need to sit at the front.
    I hope these are of some use,

3. CharlesEkin

Thank you so much for your reply, Sunshine-Group. Really appreciated. If any other thoughts, reference materials or organisations that you know of come to mind, I would be really grateful for any additional info.
    Charlie

4. barthd

barthd New commenter

Getting to know them has always worked for me. Be honest and always remain professional. I was once given the advise 'be friendly not friends' and this has always worked. I find small groups an advantage and single sex groups even better.

When things go wrong i have always found talking 1:1 the best technique. When dealing with this type of learner, reprimanding them publicly or in front of others causes them to loose 'face' and act out. Giving the learner time to reflect and make the right choice is vital. Pick you battles and try to ignore secondary behaviours.

I hope these help.

5. CharlesEkin

Thanks Barthd
    I think the first thing you said is particularly important. I don't know if you've heard of an American called John Taylor Gatto, but he said that
    Most of the world’s children are taken from the company of their nearest and dearest and placed in schools where they are managed by professional strangers. The impossibility of altruistic, long-term relationships between teachers and pupils in schools is so clear to us as adults that it is easy to overlook its effects on the children.
    Best wishes to you
    Charlie

barthd likes this.
  6. Jo_young

Jo_young New commenter

I am also looking for helpful methods to cope with challenging students. Actually there was one yesterday in my class. A student interrupted my lesson, who finally couldn't give a specific reason why he stood up and tell what his problem was, which led to his 5-minute embarrassment and ended with his claiming that he was mentally ill. I ordered him to go home to treat his mental illness after his claim. Obviously the student was making trouble, when it came to this case, as a teacher, I should sanction him resolvedly. But at the same time, we should tell them why. That's, what you do must be reasonable and convincible.