1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have any heads formally complained about their governors

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Tracy Blue, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Don't want to go into the details but it would be interesting to hear other people's opinions or experiences.

2. pineappleyoghurt

pineappleyoghurt New commenter

My clerk was able to advise me as to who to advise me in governance at County level and they were very helpful.
    Don't give up. They need you :)

3. pineappleyoghurt

pineappleyoghurt New commenter

Sorry about the awful sentence construction!

4. LA not interested!! Left the decision up to me

5. LittleStreams

LittleStreams New commenter

A friend of mine had problems with her CoG, and it left her to walk out of the school. She had tried to get local authority to help her, and they weren't interested until she actually walked out. Then they wanted to help her, but she said too little too late. She was really stressed by it all.

Best of luck though. I really feel for you.

6. My advice is to log everything and makes notes of the issues. Make sure your LA knows you have contacted your professional association and that they have a duty of care to support you. I would inform your Chair that you have taken these steps and that they also have a duty of care to you. If it is the Chair, speak to your staff governors to make sure they know what is going on.

7. Thanks all for taking the time to reply to my post.
    I have logged everything and got email evidence
    LA knows what the situation is
    Union up to date and have things in hand
    All govs know whats going on as my chair group emails everything
    The decision is do I now do what my post title suggests

8. Call your professional association ASAP

9. FabulousPoodle

FabulousPoodle New commenter

Yes, I did!
    I am a calm, usually patient and kind person (or so I am told). But I cannot abide and will not tolerate bullying in any shape or form. When I arrived at a school where it was part of the culture for some parent governors to routinely bully staff, I felt it was my duty to address the issue and defend my wonderfully committed, hardworking, but downtrodden staff. Honestly, some of the actions these pople took to bully staff were truly shocking!
    First, I gently reminded these governors that it was my role, as headteacher to deal with disciplinary issues concerning my staff, should there be any. I asked for detailed information about the concerns they were raising and promised to investigate. I did duly investigate the many concerns and usually found they were based on gossip or on occasion, pure malice. Where there were issues to be addressed (one class in one year 2 group got to plant daffodils and the other did not , due to staff illness, followed by snow!), I ensured that things were sorted out. (Every child got to plant a bulb!)
    With hindsight, I think I was remarkably tolerant about an unbelievable level of interference in the day to day running of the school and the non stop questioning of professional decisions made by both class teachers and myself. I tried to remind myself that Governors are volunteers, unpaid, who give freely of their time to support their local community. Except, that these were parents, who, having served their time, managed to get co-opted back onto the GB so that they could control the school. They were mad on the power of it all!
    I tried very hard to steer their interests towards the strategic direction of the school. Interestingly, many of the GB membership were very interested in this and felt stimulated by the challenge, but the 'few' kept on raising 'concerns', targetting individual teachers, until eventually, a much valued teacher went on long term sick leave with stress due to the pressure of constant critisism.
    Enough was enough, and I alerted my L.A and the NAHT to the issue. Both were very supportive and took positive action to address the issue. The 'concern raisers' took umbridge and resigned, which was a wonderfully positive outcome for the school, the staff and the rest of the GB.
    Professionally, I regret that I was unable to build a relationship with these people, to win them over. But their bullying ways had become entrenched over years to the extent that you either had to be 'for or against' them. I could not condone the heartless bullying of good people and although it was difficult to admit to the LA that I had failed to develop a positive relationship with some of my GB, I had to defend my staff.
    Funny, this was years ago, but it still ignites feelings of anger that people could abuse a position of trust like that.

10. Thanks all, it's pretty grim
    I have decided to throw the towel in. I could claim constest constructive dismissal (may still do I'll see what happens before Easter) but not heard anything from NAHT for over a week, LA not interested, they have made all the right noises to me so to speak but not prepared to take on a bullying CoG and weak GB.
    I've applied for two other jobs so fingers crossed

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Best of luck Tracy, let us know how you get on?

Sounds like your union let you down, you should ask for your subs back!

12. I am going to cancel my NAHT and join NAS, from other heads I've spoken to, they do seem to be there when yoy need them..I am very disappointed with NAHT

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've always found NUT very helpful too.

14. Oh poor you - this sounds terrible.
    I've just got my first headship - hope the Governors are as nice as they seem!
    Did you get a new job?
    B

15. When I was Chair of Governors I had a happy and productive relationship with the Head Teacher. That doesn't mean that we always agreed on every issue - at least not at the start of the conversation - but things never got heated. In our weekly meetings we tended to explore a whole range of topics and I look back with much pleasure at the learning process we BOTH went through.
    That said I have known some HT's and some CoG's whom I could never have worked with. One HT comes to mind who hated the kids, the parents and almost all the staff. He surrounded himself with a small group of "yes men and women" and he seldom emerged from his office. If I had been his CoG there would have been fireworks!

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't understand the point you're making in this context, Martin. As a head I've had brilliant relationships with two governing bodies; but I've also known more than one person who did not and whose career was ruined by a horrendous chair of governors.
    That's what this thread is about - we know the majority of heads work well with their chairs and GBs. But a few have an awful time.