1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have an interview for new job but know that I'm going to get asked why I want to leave my current role (same job) after only a year

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Emsley262, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am currently the early years leader in a primary school. I was appointed last September at a point in my career when I felt on top of my game, was really enthusiastic about my abilities as an early years teacher and had just done three years in an amazing school where I was given brilliant leadership opportunities and had been really happy. New role however has been a disaster, my new team were so resistant to having a new (younger) leader that they were complete *** - slagged me off continuously both to my face and behind my back, refused to make changes, undermined me, made false allegations against me for a laugh! Its been a nightmare and left me feeling broken, like I can't even teach let alone lead. I desperately want to leave as really feel I want to be happy, I've applied for the same role again in another school, much more similar in catchment to my first school. I've been offered an interview however I know from a conversation with my current head that the one who will be interviewing me had major concerns about why I was looking to leave after only a year.... how can I explain this? I don't want to just slag off my current school as I don't think its very professional but I need a valid explanation that still makes me sound desirable and like I can do my job!! HELP!

2. I sympathise! Up hill struggle with arrogant teachers who refuse to support you or reflect on their own teaching. Could say stick with it but life is too short isn't it? If you have an interview then something intrigues the new school about you. Maybe your current or last Head have prepared the ground for you. Go to the interview. Don't dwell on this issue. You must firstly reflect on what you do well. What drove you to apply for leadership in previous school? What do you like about the school you are looking at? Bring up what you have learned in challenging circumstances into answers for different questions. You genuinely want the job in the new school so be honest and say you have achieved this, this & this and have prep the way for someone to take it forward. It was a mistaken move but you have no intention of leaving so swiftly in the right school.

3. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

agree with above, but don't forget that if your current school is deemed successful by OFSTED, then interviewing panel could well be wondering why you are leaving after only a year. I don't know what you could say, but be prepared to be asked about it- in my experience of interviewees, it is very unusual for a candidate seeking promotion to then make a sideways move after only one year in a similar job and as a parent governor who is also a teacher, I would be wondering why you are doing this, especially if job in same area geographically.
    Think also how you will continue to lead your present staff- how do they see you and are they just **** or is there no smoke without fire?- if you don't get the job and have to go back to them in september. Tbh, the interview panel may get the impression that you hit and run when things don't go your way so you need to show that you can manage this situation should it occur if they appoint you.