1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have an appointment for hysterectomy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ah40, Jul 1, 2009.

1. I have no personal experience of this but 2 colleagues had one recently.When they were declared fit to return to work by their GP they came back on a phased return.they did a few mornings a week until they felt they could manage more and then gradually increased their hours.I have returned to work recently after 6 months of ill health and had to see Occupational Health to discuss my return and all has gone well.My advice would be to take as long as you require to recover from this op and then ask your GP what they would recommend with regards to your return.I hope everything goes well and you make a speedy recovery.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It also very much depends on the type of hysterectomy you have. An abdominal one (especially if it's a 'total') will take far longer to recover from than a vaginal one.
    A close friend who had a total abdominal hysterectomy (long, vertical incision, ovaries removed as well as womb) was off for six months. Others who have the simpler, less radical procedures can be absent for considerably less time.

3. flossy-fluffy

flossy-fluffy New commenter

I had total abdominal hysterectomy at the end of May last year. I returned to work full time in September for the start of the new school year. I was still sore at times but could manage OK. I took it easy with regard to physical activity such as setting out PE stuff though. There is no way you will be going back in September if you are having TAH. You'll know when you are ready.

4. Thanks for your reply - I will see how it goes!!

6. I had my hysterectomy plus posterior and anterior repair on the 22nd June and have been signed off until 19th September. I had some excellent advice from a nurse who said, 'The surgeon has done his job and you now have one opportunity to get your recovery right first time.' Follow the advice you are given on leaving hospital to the letter and then take it easier if your body tells you to do so. You will have good and bad days but that's the nature of recovery and you MUST rest in order to give your body time to heal. Going back a couple of weeks earlier than you should will only set you way back and that will be no good for you or the school. Good luck! BTW, the Hyster Sister site is really helpful.

7. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I had a TAH and BSO (basically, everything out) on 4th June and will be returning to work in September. I was signed off for 6 weeks by the hospital and then got another week from my GP, otherwise I would have been coming back on phased return for just the last week of term and that wouldn't have worked for me or my class (or our lovely Supply teacher). I went in yesterday for my class's Teddy Bear's Picnic and after just the afternoon I was really exhausted and feeling some pain, so very glad I didn't try to go back earlier!
    I found the hysterectomy association forum very useful:
    http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/forums/index.php

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Mine was an abdominal hysterectomy but I did really well after it and was only off for slightly under 3 months but because it was timed well I only returned to work for the last couple of days of term prior to the summer break so my real recovery time was extended by 6 weeks.

9. I had mine done a while back (full abdominal, all out) at the beginning of a july and then went back to work mid september. The first week I was grey with tiredness but afer that ok. Not sure I would have been able to go back and be a full on class teacher though?

Good luck - it was the best thing I ever did !!

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son's childminder had to have a hysterectomy as she had cysts on her ovaries, fallopian tubes etc so they decided to take the lot out! She was off work for about 8 weeks i think.