1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have an AH interview on same day as current school's OFSTED

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ks3english, Jan 30, 2012.

1. My school are saying they need me in school but it is my first assistant head interview on the same day T another school. Help what should I do?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm not sure what to advise - if your current headteacher refuses to release you (and s/he has the right to do so), you won't be able to go.

3. could you ask for an early interview then get to school or a late one and leave school as soon as you have finished your last lesson?
    I was at an all day interview and one candidate didn't get there until 10.30 by prior arrangement as she wanted to settle her less able yr 11s into their exam before coming, she got the job.
    If it is logistically possible it might work in your favour - show commitment to you current school and show that your head must really rate you if they want you in school for OFSTED so desperately.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I wonder if Ruthie's suggestion might work. Could you explain that your school is undergoing OFSTED and so you need to be there, so would it be possible to re-schedule the day? They're going to understand your commitment and with these short notice inspections. . .
    Whatever you do; observe Midlemarch' wise wordsas you will still need a reference from your Head at some point.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If the school will not release you, then there is nothing that you can do to attend the interview on that day.
    Nothing.
    You most certainly cannot absent yourself without authorisation - and don't even THINK of pulling a sickie. It could lose you your current job without gaining you a new one.
    But I know you weren't thinking of doing that.
    You have two possible plans here. You could see exactly what it is that your school needs you for, and see if it might be possible for you to prepare others to take over, and then discuss it as a possibility with your Head. But being prepared for her to day "No", and you take it gracefully. I hope that you have been graceful up to now?
    You could also contact the other school, say that you are needed at your own school, and ask if it might be possible to re-arrange your interview date. Say that you will understand if it is not possible, in which case you will have to withdraw as clearly your own school's needs come first. They will respect you for that.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

6. Thanks so much for all the advice.
    I have never been in this situation before, I have only just started applying for AH jobs. I completely understand the Head's point of view and respect their wishes. I feel flattered that they feel that they need me in that day and will be completely professional as I always am. I would of course not pull a sickie, I have been completely open with my school about everything and plan to continue being so. I am not unhappy at my current school, just ready to move on.
    I'm just so dissapointed.
    I will call the other school and ask if anything can be done. If not then I suppose it was not meant to be.
    :-(

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well I hope that it can be solved for you.
    If not, then this is the cue for me to tell you about the TES seminar on: Moving into Headship or SLT that will be run by TES Prime (the people who are contracted by Governing Bodies to manage the appointment of Heads, Deputies and AHTs), and yours truly (a consultant on school appointments).
    We will show you how to identify your personal strengths and weaknesses, how to assess if they meet what a school is looking for, how to present yourself in an application, how to understand the different parts of what may be a 2-day interview process, how to get your points over in an interview.
    So if it's not too late for your applications, you could break open your piggy bank and come along.
    W A R N I N G ! ! ! W A R N I N G ! ! ! W A R N I N G ! ! !
    We do NOT:
    • write an application for you
    • hand out sheets of example letters or model statements for you to copy
    • tell you what your beliefs and values should be
    • give you vision if you haven't got it
    • give suggested or model answers to interview questions
    • give you any answers at all, in fact
    If you want all that, don't come!
    Next one will be on Saturday 18th February, a half-day session either morning or afternoon, in central London.
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com
    People tell us that attending these seminars can be helpful:
    • Good news, I managed to secure an Assistant Headteacher post yesterday.
    • I was at the 'Moving into Headship' seminar and we spoke about my imminent interview. I thought I'd let you know that I was successful! My first interview for Headship, so I'm obviously delighted. The course was very very useful.
    • I am so glad that I attended the 'Moving into Headship' course - fantastic timing and great advice - got that job!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

8. The other school have now said I can just attend the second round of the interview and come a bit earlier after I finish OFSTED in my present school.
    So happy!
    Just wondering how I will now get through OFSTED and prepare for an interview... insteresting.

9. Thank you for all the support and advice. I did not get that post, although they said I was a close second. I was invited for an interview at another school that day, I had the interview, and got the job!

Whoop whoop !

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wow, break out the champagne.
    [​IMG]