1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have an A Level in English but not a GCSE!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by pumpkin85, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I want to train to become a primary school teacher and on every course website it says that you need to have a GCSE (or equivalent) in English language. I have A levels in both English Language and English Literature but I do not have a GCSE in English Language. Would I still need to get a GCSE in English even though I have A levels in English or would my A levels meet that requirement?

2. How'd you even manage to do that? :D I think you would need to get a GCSE regardless of your A Levels as it's a legal requirement in order to be accepted onto the course and not just a matter for each provider to decide upon. This is why they make you provide copies of your certificates. Even if you could somehow get on a course with just your A Levels you might find that - although your A Levels are at a higher level - 1) it's too much red tape to side-step the legal requirement of a C minimum at GCSE, and 2) an A Level is not as focussed on learning to read and write, word class, grammar, syntax and creative writing, which is what you learn in your GCSE and which is more relevant to primary teaching.

3. It only asks for a standard equivalent to GCSE C grade - since your A levels are clearly higher than this you obviously meet the requirement and should produce your A level certificate as proof when interviewed.
    Many years ago, (in Scotland at least,) it was fairly standard for more able pupils to miss out O levels and go straight to Highers ( A level equivalent) in some subjects so I assume you either attended a school which still followed this policy or perhaps completed A levels after leaving school. Either way, your level of achievement in the subject will be seen as an advantage I should think rather than an issue!

4. Thank you for the replies :)
    I don't have a GCSE in English because I had an illness that lasted several years and because of this I was unable to attend school during years 10 and 11. I did my A levels via distance learning.
    I would also assume that my A levels would meet this requirement, but I will contact the providers directly just to make sure.