1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have agency paid me wrong?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

I did 2 TA days last week.
    My agency invoice says i will be paid £45 for each day,
    I checked this morning and the agency have put £76 in my account,
    Shouldnt it be £90??

Do i ring them?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Supplygirl111

Just checked payslip and it says
    Gross Pay: £95
    Tax Paid: £19

Does £19 tax sound right for 2 days work?

4. Supplygirl111

Just double checking before i ring

5. hlcook89

hlcook89 New commenter

I'd ring and ask as you could be paying an umbrella company for their services.

6. Rott Weiler

£19 is 20% of £95 so they've deducted basic rate income tax from the full amount. That probably means they haven't yet been given a tax code for you by HMRC, in which case the HMRC rule is that they have to deduct 20% tax on the whole amount. Ring them and get clarification.

MissGeorgi, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. Supplygirl111

I rung agency and they basically said I filled a form when i joined them and they sent this to HMRC so they said it might take a couple of weeks for HMRC to sort it so to ring HMRC in a couple of weeks if tax is still going out,

The UK free tax is up to £11,000 and ive never earned near that with university and volunteering and the money is not sufficient now to be taxed,
    So unsure what to do next as agency said its nothing to do with them

8. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

When they get the right tax code, everything will be sorted. Will only be a couple of weeks. Think of it as savings :) without interest.:(

9. Rott Weiler

Agency is correct it's nothing to do with them. They don't and can't know what your overall income is. They just have to follow HMRC rules and wait until HMRC tell them the correct amount of tax to deduct.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

£45 a day is an insult.

tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

schoolsout4summer

100% correct - it is an insult.

12. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

13. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Unbelievable, refuse to work for that rate.

14. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

So how old are you @Supplygirl111, where do you live and how long is a working day? I ask this not because you should tell us but because your agency seems to be sailing close to the wind on minimum wage (which is a legal requirement). If the day is 5 hours they may be legal, but if you are being asked to do duties or time at the beginning of end of the day there may be an issue. I am not a TA, and I know they are not well paid but if minimum wage is how they are valued it's a a disgrace as invigilators get more. If you have qualifications of any kind especially QTS the agency should be especially ashamed, ditto experience, a good level of education etc. Can you find something/somewhere else, I'm sure you are worth more than £45 a day.