1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have a go reading and Literacy before schooling

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by abutcher1985, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    My partner is working on a Level 3 childcare course and has been set an assignment in which she must research the following topics:
    - Have a go reading
    - Literacy before schooling
    She was struggling to get anywhere so I decided to have a look... I'm a seconary ICT teacher and I can't find anything significant about either of these topics on the internet; certainly nothing to suggest that these are existing schemes.
    I wondered if anyone working in early years might have any ideas as to what this might mean?
    Thanks to anyone who can give me a shove in the right direction
    Andrew

2. Has she been given any more information? Does schooling mean formal schooling from Foundation 2 or all early years? I think 'have a go reading' is like 'have a go writing' where the child writes how they think it should be from their own knowledge of words and phonics. So the child picks up a book and has a go at reading using all the strategies they know, such as sight words they know, phonics and using picture and text clues. Literacy before schooling probably means things that a child might learn at home or nursery such as learning familiar rhymes and songs, talking with family members, recognising their own name, and those of family members, looking at print in the environment such as road names, packaging, logos like the Macdonalds logo etc. Has she got any books by Tina Bruce or similar. I'm sure these would be useful.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

try googling "Emergent Literacy"

4. Thank you both very much for this.
    Unfortunately this is the only clue she has and she is supposed to be reporting back on it tomorrow. This is excellent advice.
    Thanks again,
    Andrew