1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Have a been mugged my Gove?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by tjholland1, Feb 1, 2011.

1. tjholland1

tjholland1 New commenter

Read in the paper today that golden hellos are to be scrapped....... i began my NQT post in June; please tell me im still going to get it.
    [​IMG]

2. You still get it. It's me who has been mugged by the ConDems. I'm just about to start my PGCE,

3. Hi
    You are OK, those currently on teacher training courses will have their Golden Hellos (GH) paid as they take up their teaching posts, so you need to ensure that you meet the requirements and all will be OK. It is for those who start teacher training later this year and in the future who will not be eligible for the GH.
    James

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Please note that golden hellos have to be claimed within 12 months of passing induction- a number of people have fallen foul of this deadline. More worrying the report stated that PGCE bursaries for all subject bar Maths, Science and MFL may be scrapped!

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

To be fair, there are too many qualified teachers and not enough jobs. There are already NQTs from last year still looking for jobs, and some who qualified years ago and ahven't found permanent work. The governmeny obviously doesn't see the point in offering such huge incentives to recruit people when there aren't the jobs available.
    That's the first and last time you'll ever see me stand up for the ConDems (spit!).
    That said, if I'd already been accepted onto a course and my GH was cancelled, I'd be miffed.

6. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I agree!! And yet this article says there will be a teacher shortfall by 2013...so confused.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6068582

7. It depends on the subject and where you live. I'm in London and there always seems to be vacancies for Science staff around where I live. However I have a friend who teaches Geography from my PGCE he found it quite difficult to find a job... but got one eventually...

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The issue is that the Govt. have never really tackled the issue of the regional supply of teachers. The funding model is a national one which assumes the complete mobility of teachers- which is of course nonsense. What happens is that large numbers of NQTs flood the market in the NE and SW every year.This creates a glut in some places and shortages in others.