1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hattie

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jan 20, 2011.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I can't see a thread for this so decided to start one.

I enjoyed it even though it only focusses on a small part (albeit contraversial) of her life. I thought the guy playing John Le Mesurier was excellent and Ruth Jones played Hattie well.

Given that in those days celebrities pritate lives were exactly that these sorts of programmes shine a light into the unknown. Given the modern fashion for celebrities to live their lives in the magazines there will be no need for programmes like this on people like Katie Price etc!

The protrayal of Esma Cannon was a revelation given that all we ever really knew about her was that she played the batty old lady in the films. I never realised she was Australian.
    [​IMG]

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I can't see a thread for this so decided to start one.

I enjoyed it even though it only focusses on a small part (albeit contraversial) of her life. I thought the guy playing John Le Mesurier was excellent and Ruth Jones played Hattie well.

Given that in those days celebrities pritate lives were exactly that these sorts of programmes shine a light into the unknown. Given the modern fashion for celebrities to live their lives in the magazines there will be no need for programmes like this on people like Katie Price etc!

The protrayal of Esma Cannon was a revelation given that all we ever really knew about her was that she played the batty old lady in the films. I never realised she was Australian.
    [​IMG]

3. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

You may wish to read the biographies of Tony Hancock, that whole Mesurier Sid James etc menage was quite incestuous.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A fascinating insight when you consider that John Le Mesurier played the archetypal establishment figure in bowler hat and pinstripes for most of his career.

5. I watched some of it, because I was interested, but also to ogle the costumes and sets as I love that period in history.
    I was pretty disappointed and switched off - there was something a bit leaden about the writing, in my opinion.

6. I wasn't sure about it to start but got quite into it. My sympathies lay with her husband and she seemed like someone who wanted her cake and eat it (that could have just been the writing of course). I can understand her being bowled over by the younger man who made her feel good about herself.

7. She did seem like someone who ate a lot of cake.

8. I watched it too, being a great fan of Hattie Jacques and the Carry On films.
    I think the actress playing Hattie did a good job, and I seem to remember re4ading stories about Hattie being physically abused by the boyfriend and arriving on set wearing dark glasses and hiding her bruises.
    I loved the sequences about the filming of Carry on Cabby, one of my favourites........xxxxxx

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have to say that I loved it. Utterly brilliant.
    Sometimes when I watch TV or films, I keep looking at the clock because although I'm enjoying it, I'm aware of being slightly bored. However, last night when the credits started to roll I couldn't actually believe that it had finished.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I thought it was a bit depressing, wasn't that keen on Ruth Jones or Robert Bathhurst (?). It all seemed a bit grubby. But some of her costumes were great - I loved the blue coat she went to the first leukaemia do in.

11. I thought it was all too dark and wanted to turn up the brightness level on TV. I loved the blue coat too.

To a point I suppose it was grubby, sneaking around in the middle of the night to sleep (!) with your lover whilst husband is downstairs.
    My sympathies were firmly with John Le Mesurier but that could just be what the writers wanted.

12. I enjoyed it and thought Ruth Jones and Robert Bathurst really convincing. Also loved the portrayal of Esme Cannon, the sweet little old lady from the Carry Ons and the Rag Trade, swearing like a trooper.
    Found it somewhat disturbing the coffeekid can refer to what for me is nostalgia, as 'that period in history'.

13. Sorry creasey! I ain't no spring chicken myself, so don't feel too angry with me! Twas my birthday today, and I am now VERY much on the wrong side of 30... and no, I don't mean 31.

We all age.

Boo.

14. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

15. I'm not angry, coffeekid, just amused. Hope you are having a great birthday.

16. I'm having a nice day, thanks.

17. I do! I do!

Watched "Hattie" and it reinstated that I/we live in a different world to showbiz etc.

Lovely to talk again.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I got the impression that her day to day life was pretty ordinary and 'of its time'. She went out to work, came home, cooked the dinner, cleaned the house, looked after the kids/Husband etc. Then she had an affair on the side and moved her lover in (although it seems to have been her husband's idea to have him stay). They had the 'gay' lodger who had men to stay (which would have been illegal in those days). Presumably the Carry On movies gave her a regular and comfortable income (but being a woman she would not have been paid as much as the male stars) but Ealing isn't Hollywood!

19. Hi blazer
    I wasn't really thinking of Hollywood - that's another world away. But even Ealing is a bit more glamorous than spending a day in front of thirty or so teenagers and going home with chewing gum stuck on your bum!!!

20. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

How you doing Charlie old pal?