1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hats topic

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by squish831, Dec 8, 2010.

1. The children in my class absolutly love dressing up at the moment especially in hats.
    Their other interest is people who help us so I am planning on starting next term with a hats topic.
    I have done a quick forum search but it didn't come up with alot so I am hoping you wonderful people on here could help with some ideas.
    Has anyone done this topic before?

Thanks

2. The children in my class absolutly love dressing up at the moment especially in hats.
    Their other interest is people who help us so I am planning on starting next term with a hats topic.
    I have done a quick forum search but it didn't come up with alot so I am hoping you wonderful people on here could help with some ideas.
    Has anyone done this topic before?

Thanks

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Hats are great for transferring headlice from one head to another. You could chart the spread.

4. 'Millie's Marvellous Hat' is a great story about hats..

5. Thanks Aisling1979 I'll have a look for that one on amazon. [​IMG]

6. Hi Aisling1979 I bought the book and I love it, its got me thinking about some great ideas.
    Can anyone else help? Has anyone done this topic before?

7. sadika

sadika New commenter

A few years ago our Nursery/Reception did a performance called "Happy Hat Land" - I think it's still available.

8. sadika

sadika New commenter

9. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

We've a great story sack in school - think the book is called Mrs Honey's hat. She starts the day with a beautifully decorated hat but gradually the nice decorations get swapped for other things.
    If you are anywhere near Stockport there is a hat making museum.

10. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Also you could try to make a waterproof hat for a teddy, lots of good KUW!

11. I have follwed your link and this looks fab thank you x

12. A traditional story is Caps for Sale

Also The Kinder Hat

There's one by Mem Fox too - maybe the Magic Hat or something similar

13. Unfortunately i am no where near the museum but I have found out that our local schools library has a story sack for Mrs Honeys hat so thank you for that. It has given me some more ideas and I have already got my mum knitting a Mrs Honey doll for the classroom. I have also raided the charity shops and found a perfect straw hat so I can velcro the different items on her hat.
    Thank you x

14. thank you, I'll have a look at the schools library for those x

15. There's also a bar chart maths activity to go with Happy Hat Land on Primary Resources, although it may be too advanced it might be worth a look.

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/maths/mathsF1.htm#pictograms