1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hating my job

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Ferret123, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Ferret123

Ferret123 New commenter

Not been a good term so far I’m afraid, kids progressively getting out of control across the school.And to make matters worse a kid has poured some acid from today’s experiment into my mug whilst my back is turned. Fortunately this was spotted by an honest pupil who alerted me before I took a sip. I can take verbals off kids all day long but this may be the straw that broke the camel’s back. Management are dealing with it tomorrow or in reality fetching a brush and a carpet to sweep it and all the other school’s problems under!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. annascience2012

annascience2012 New commenter

Gosh! That's attempted poisoning! I really hope it's taken seriously in the morning and if it isn't, I'd take it further. That isn't a school-disciplinary issue any more, that's a police issue! So glad you didn't drink it, my goodness.

ms honey, pepper5, tonymars and 10 others like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

I think I would report this to the police.

ms honey, FollyFairy, pepper5 and 9 others like this.
  4. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

I would have gone to the police. That is awful!
    I am so sorry you have to go through this.
    Please make sure that this isn't dropped. This crosses a line into malicious. We are here if you need us. xxxx

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm not one to overreact but that is so serious and I feel so sorry any teacher should experience that. I agree with the others - report it to the police.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That acid pouring incident must be taken up with management as soon as possible.

But....

Why did you have a cup of hot beverage in your lab - you really shouldn't.

7. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

That’s unbelievable. You call the police yourself, they could do something similar to another teacher or pupil. that’s very serious. I’d go to the GP too, that incident would give me anxiety.

jlishman2158 and BetterNow like this.
  8. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

If management don't take that seriously, then you should leave.

I can see how a daft teenager may think that's a bit of a prank, some kids just don't have the internal mechanism yet that lets them know that actions have consequences... which is why it's absolutely imperative that management issue a severe one.

I once attended a drama performance put on after school at a place I used to work. I took my 4 year old son with me.
    On the way home I stopped at a petrol station, there was a few school kids in an older brother's car. They gave me a load of grief, lots of foul language, whilst I was holding hands with my son.

There was no question in my mind that the management would deal with this sensibly, which they did. The police visited them in school. Their parents were called in. They were excluded. They apologised (and they meant it).
    If this wouldn't have been dealt with in this way, and putting aside my personal feelings, I'd've had serious enough misgivings about the competency of management in educating wayward teenagers enough that I'd've been straight onto the job pages. It's a bigger betrayal than some ******** mouthing off, or in this incident, trying to be a joker with no regard or respect for the teacher.

9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Agree with everything said so far. I know it could be difficult, but I think I would be making it clear to management that the police need to be informed - and if they are not going to do this, then you will be doing so yourself. I don't think I'm one to over-react, but this is really serious. You could be preventing the same think happening to someone else, who may not be so lucky.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Point remains - you shouldn't have mugs of drinks in your lab. Some kid put a small rubber in my coffee cup some years back and I nearly swallowed it. Since then - no way Jose.

It's poor health and safety anyway.

However I do agree that this could well be a police matter.

pepper5 and jlishman2158 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The only other case I can think of which was in any way similar was a kid who stole a quantity of a chemical from a science lab and put it in his "friends" drink.

The kid who had been poisoned ended up in hospital - the kid who did it was permanently excluded and the teacher was made to resign.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Moral of the story - keep drinks in the staff room or the office where they belong.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One more thing - if the kids behaviour is as bad as you say it is - why are you still doing experiments with them using acids ?.

14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

[QUOTE="peakster, post: 12947466, member: 3984460]
    Why did you have a cup of hot beverage in your lab - you really shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

The OP didn't mention a hot drink - I have a mug of water behind my desk all the time.

@Ferret123 This happened yesterday and you say management are dealing with it today. Don't ASK for it to be reported to the police - TELL them YOU are reporting it.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's safer to have a water bottle - I don't even do that now.

16. Ferret123

Ferret123 New commenter

peakster - its easy to suggest keeping water bottles in the staffroom where they belong, however in practice it's not so straightforward. I personally need to drink water throughout the day and cannot go 3-4 lessons without drinking. You could argue I keep it in a drawer but hindsight is a wonderful thing. This was a conscious effort to do harm and walk to the opposite end of the room and pour the acid into the glass despite passing 5 sinks on the way. Personally this pupil should be made an example of.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Absolutely agree - you cannot let this pass.

18. annascience2012

annascience2012 New commenter

I don't think you could predict something as malicious as this. If the OP is a chemistry teacher and never did any practical lessons, don't you think their manager would ask about it? -Why don't you do any practicals? -My class is so naughty I might be poisoned (?!) No... let's not blame the OP here. This child has been criminally misbehaving and it doesn't sound like the OP did anything wrong to trigger that.

19. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

If we're arguing about keeping a mug/ bottle in class then we are as bad as the OPs management.
    Someone attempted to poison them. Surely that comes above anything else? That shows malice and intent. If asked, what did they think the likely outcome would be? OP could have died if they'd had a drink!
    This is DEFINITELY a police matter.
    Tell your HT, if they won't deal with it then police will be. This is definitely a crime.

pepper5, Daveh1981, tenpast7 and 5 others like this.
  20. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Good Point - The issue is the malicious and dangerous behavior of this child, if the pupil had not done this they would have done something else, equally or even more dangerous. No amount of vigilance on the part of a teacher will prevent a determined child from hurting another person if they really want to.

pepper5, Daveh1981, tenpast7 and 4 others like this.