1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hating FB any advice?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sulla88bc, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Aaaarrrrgh! We all know what a right royal pain fbook can be. I am having issues.
    really need advice about complex issue with parent harrassing other students on fb about alledged bullying...can someone pm me please am at wits end here!!!

2. Been there! I really understand your frustration at grown adults getting into slanging matches with children online. The irony of "bullying" seems lost..... Not to mention the peurile comments themselves and the apparent belief that if they threaten a child online it will put an end to the matter!

The only effective way that I dealt with anything was face to face meetings with parents reminding them that they are adults, and that kids fall out. The school will deal with bullying etc, although this of course is countered with "you lot don't do noffin abaht it".

When parents have been persistant and ignored my advice not to compromise themselves and their child I have had to advise the other parent to refer to the police. The problem is that the police usually refer back to the school based police officer and headteacher! But the good thing is that advice from the school officer (preferably a real one not a PCSO) is taken seriously. A parent who tells an officer that they will "sort it out" themselves gets a strong word or two.

Good luck. I fear that the only solution is the closing down of Facebook. Most parents would be glad to see the back of it.

3. I think it is a police issue every time. Make sure that it is banned in school so that you can always say it is an out of school issue. Pathetic. Come back MSN, all is forgiven.

4. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

You can report usernames to FB and they will investigate and possibly delete accounts.

If primary and chn are underage, you can use a report underage account to FB and they will delete.

FB = evil.

5. My experience of FB is that they do not act on clear information about underage activity nor on many cases of hateful postings. They do however act promptly on clear and obvious cases of abusive language - but in the only case I am aware of, it was done through a hacked-account - but despite informing FB of the hacking activity and providing copious evidence, they still removed the hacked-account rather than ban the real offender's account.

The only other thing they act on promptly is to remove images even when the allegation of copyright violation is spurious, downright malicious or clearly absurd. They act swiftly in this and only this context because they are under threat of having their entire site taken down due to Millenium Copyright Act provisions in the USA. Trying to get a picture reinstated is then impossible because FB will not enter into any discussions.

FB are a useless bunch.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

We have had issues here too.... To be proactive we have thus 1. Obviously ensured it and similar sites are blocked in school. 2. Had the police in who ran an assembly with a rather good short film on the matter - Can highly recommend that. 3. Sent out a letter reminding parents of the age limit for such sites and how matters pertaining to online bullying will be dealt with. Would be very pleased if others add their strategies to this list.