1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hate to be a rabble rouser, but...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Cervinia, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Why join a Union if you have no intention of acting with them?
    I sympathise with Union members at small primary schools where they may be one of only 2/3/4 teachers of a particular union. Some members taking a "I'm alright Jack" attitude towards the situation.
    Time to show a united front, colleagues have long memories.

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

There are a number of good reasons for joining a union.

3. Yep, and a number of good unions to choose from, so why choose one that you do not agree with the policies of?
    If you do not agree with strike action, why join a union that states strike action is one of its tools? Why not join the one/two unions that state they will not strike (I do not know which union/s this is/are - but a couple of people on here have said they joined their union because they state they do not strike, so I guess there must be at least one out there that says this?)
    I do not agree with the principles of a few shops in this country, so I do not shop in them. Easy. Same thing imho.
    Agree with OP all the way.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Sounds rather like a threat ...

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I join a so called 'powerful' union for the protection they can offer me in times of trouble. I pay for that protection. I owe them nothing, not even my support for a strike.

6. However if they are successful in negotiating a better deal on your behalf you will be happy to accept it I assume?[

If you are a member of a union and you are called upon to strike you should do so. You would expect them to back you in times of difficulty and therefore you should support their call to back them. Collective action and bargaining is the only way that anything will change and if you don't act for your union you undermine the collective strength. Join a different union if you don't want to strike.

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

The union don't pay me to support them! I pay them to support me.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No you pay a membership fee to be part of a professional organisation

9. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I pay for a service not for a piece of paper saying I'm part of a professional organisation! I'm not giving up good money each month for nothing!

10. Cervinia

You're safe, Jack(?). My threatening days are over.
    I was simply suggesting that a failure to have your colleagues' back, may result in a returned favour one day.
    There is plenty of choice when it comes to unions. It's a buyers' market.
    Like anything, you should find a union that more suits your views/politic/yellow belly.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The thing is, people's colleagues are actually those they work with. As you say at the beginning, some people may be the only NUT member in their small primary. And yes colleagues will remember the day that person went out on strike and left them to sort the ensuing mess.

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Thank you minnieminx, that is my situation.
    And yes, it's a buyers market and I choose the union that can best support me in times of trouble. That's what I pay them for.

13. I will be the only teacher in my small school striking, there are others who are ATL members who are too young/immature/ignorant to see the importance of this. It will be ME remembering that THEY did not do their duty, I wont be leaving anyone in a mess, my class will be covered by my TA who is not in a union.
    Rather lose a few quid now than a fortune later. Also feel pretty p***ed that I have transferred pensions fro previous empolyment into the Teachers Pension Fund believing it to be a good one and am now getting screwed.

14. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

Your employer shouldn't be doing this. Check out the NUT website.

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your colleagues do not have a 'duty' to strike, what a nonsense statement!

Do you not feel rather hypocritical leaving your TA to cover your class so you can make a fuss about what is already, and will remain even with cuts, a much better pay and pension package than s/he can ever dream of? S/he will not get paid your wage for the day, but the peanuts s/he generally earns. Just so you can swan off and bleat on about how badly off you are.

16. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

Losing up to £100 per month? Losing £5k per annum when you retire? Are these not 'times of trouble'? Then I don't know what trouble looks like in your world view!! Your union is only as 'powerful' as the extent to which their members are willing to act collectively which in your case seems to be not at all.

17. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

The Government treats support staff like this because it thinks it can. We're next. Is that okay by you then?

18. Hm, but isn't all that rather missing the point that we have such good T&Cs precisely because we are unionised and have fought for those benefits for a very long time? If you don't fight to protect what you've already achieved now, then you can kiss it goodbye, because this will undoubtedly be the thin end of the wedge. Absolutely nothing to stop the Government turning around in another two years and taking even more from us.
    We are seen as a soft target, and that is why we are being targeted now.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, my point is that it is a little much to ask someone who has far worse T&C of employment and pension to cover for you while you strike to keep a very cushy number and avoid have a less cushy but still pretty good deal.

20. Cervinia

What a ridiculous statement. What on earth is hypocritical about that?
    "I can't hope to maintain my conditions at work work because someone else (less qualified) is paid less than myself."
    So 4 years of Univerisity/College, years of hard work count for nothing because we can't dream to ask for more than a TA who may/may not have any qualifications.
    The only person who should feel guilty (which I assume is what you meant by hypocritical) about this situation is whoever's decision it was that she should cover / the government.

If you want to discuss being 'hypocritical' perhaps you should look at the government who are raiding our pensions whilst protecting their own.