1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hate the UK or love the UK?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by stopwatch, Jan 2, 2017.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

One thing which has always surprised me is the level of negativity towards the UK from expat teachers abroad. I wonder sometimes whether this is to justify their being overseas in the first place. As those who have read other posts I have written, I love the UK, but feel I am in the minority.

So... here goes... do you:
    a) Hate the UK
    or
    b) Love the UK

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I left because i couldnt actually get a full time post back home, but everytime i go back for any length of time i have no regrets leaving.

Im definitely in the hate camp, and for lots and lots of reasons...the stupidity of Brexit just topped it off for me.

DanFT likes this.
  3. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

Hate hate hate.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

love love love!

(except the education system!)

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

the countryside, the cities, the people, the wildlife, the language, the democracy, the media, the health service,the public transport, the weather........

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Hate the UK? Rather a strong emotion, don't you think?

There are aspects of the UK that I disagree with and many, many, aspects that I agree with and miss. Those who hate the UK - or at least profess to do so - I suspect hate (or very strongly dislike) the teaching profession in the UK and are extrapolating from that to hating the UK as an entity in itself.

Now, one can certainly have misfeelings about the teaching profession in the UK, but to extend that to the UK as a whole? Really?

Now, let's assume that those who profess to hate the UK, really do hate the UK, for whatever reason. Then I would put forward the viewpoint that you should, really, if you are being honest with yourself, hate any country that you are living in. The UK is the 10th least corrupt country in the world out of 168 countries according to Transparency International. The World Economic Forum ranked the UK as the third best country in the world to live in. There are very few countries on the international teaching circuit, outside of Europe, who will come anywhere close to those figures.

So, what's it going to be?

dunnocks likes this.
  7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

the choice in the shops, the libraries, the ethnic mix, the cost line and beaches, the range of sports played, the sense of humour, the animal lovers....

8. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I love the UK. I love its beautiful countryside and its quirky people. We travel back for both Christmas and the Summer to enjoy all it has to offer. I do not, however, have any love of teaching in the UK. The more I read of the idiocies introduced by differing governments or unqualified ministers upon hapless teachers the happier I am that we chose to move away many years ago. Although we own properties in the U.K. I cannot see us ever working there again and when we retire there are warmer places.....

Happy New Year

Perce

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

the film industry, the high level of road safety! the lack of guns and low crime rate, the benefit system, the British food, the music traditions, the landscapes, the amazing geology.....

jeg17 and petaloutha like this.
  10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

of mix of modern and historical, the equality laws, the freedom for women, the (generally, comparatively) low levels of air pollution, the regional accents, the people who chat at bus stops, the eccentrics, the kindness......

jeg17 and petaloutha like this.
  11. stopwatch

Although the word 'hate' might seem excessive, it is the one which I have heard used along with such comments as:

'It's totally C*@p', 'Who the hell would want to live there', 'I would never go back, I'd rather live in hell'

So, all in all, pretty excessive comments all round.

I would hazard a guess that, if you asked these people to put their money where their mouth is and a) forego their UK passport or b) sign a legal contract to say they will never live there again, their tune might be tempered a little.

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

the police force, the security and peace, the general lack of earthquakes/tornadoes/volcanoes, the arts and culture, the public parks in all cities, the gardens, the common land, the ancient woods, the bluebells, the mountains, the food security,

petaloutha likes this.
  13. stopwatch

Well, the comments so far seem quite encouraging!

14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think it's one of the best places in the world

petaloutha likes this.
  15. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

did I mention tiny number of venomous snakes and spiders, and when was the last time someone actually died from an adder bite. And I know red deer have killed a few unlucky souls recently, but really just by fluke, we have nothing in our vicinity actively HUNTING us

petaloutha likes this.
  16. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I like others, like the UK, lots of positives, teaching isn't great, although a lot lot better in the private sector. The main issue for me is the cost of living, eating out, tax, household bills, cars, childcare etc, takes most of my (quite high) salary leaving us will little to pay with, I work too hard to have to limit my holidays to one a year and watch I spend my money on when I can live in Asia and have multiply holidays, eat out when I want and most importantly allow my wife not to work to bring up our young children.

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm with dunnocks. I LOVE the UK and-having lived abroad-would echo all the wonderful things we have that we generally take for granted. Now, if only we could sort the education system ( and a few other minor things!) out!

dunnocks likes this.
  18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

and please don't underestimate the sheer joy of having a reliable and effective sewage system available at every turn.....

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

and drinking water from the taps, of course

although I sometimes wonder how efficient this is, given the tiny proportion of water from taps that is actually drunk, rather than used to wash a car with, or pumped into a central heating system, or flushed down the toilet....

I don't know that it is actually necessary for ALL of that water to be made potable quality, we could maybe have just one drinking water tap in a building, and not the rest... of course that would mean making a whole other system, but maybe in the future we could do that?

20. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I honestly dont miss any of the things @dunnocks mentions. Really the only thing i miss is a proper bacon sandwich with HP sauce.

For me, the UK is massively over priced, over taxed and far to many restrictive rules and regulations....its been eye opening to live in "the free world". My Polish girlfriend always laughs when we go back to the UK at how rediculously expensive everything is and how we have to pay for everything...nothing in the UK seems to be free...except parking at Tescos.

But most of what has been said on here is true. Its probably not the UK in general i hate, but i do hate teaching in the UK.... well the riot control that i remember. I really apprechiate being a professional now, being paid a decent wage, and actually being allowed to teach engaged students again.

Honestly im never going back

Dubsguy and tk212 like this.