1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hatching Chicks

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giggles_88, Mar 14, 2011.

1. I am just starting to think about the idea of hatching some chicks in the classroom as part of our topic of 'new life'
    I was just wondering, for those that had already done this, how long did you keep the chicks in the classroom after they had hatched?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    Ours hatched a couple of weeks before we finished for Easter so kept them for 2 weeks (obviously I took them home at the weekend).
    Good luck, we loved doing it! x

3. you need to start them off quite soon if you want to appreciate them this term. We did them last year and doing them again. Putting them in the incubator on Thursday morning, then hopefully 21 days later we will have chicks. it was the high light of the year , last year! We wanted to do ducks this year, but our egg supplier tells us that they aren't laying at the moment.
    Good Luck .. Its great fun!

4. Thanks so much for your help and advice! I am lucky as my dad has chickens so the chicks will go to him after and Im sure will be happy, will be able to take photos to update the kids on how they are getting along too.
    Do you use a heat lamp in the classroom after they have hatched?
    And does anyone have a risk assessment for this?
    Thanks again, very helpful!

5. You do know why don't you!

Of course I do - was trying to point out how helpful the company was in coming to collect some and letting us keep the others!

6. We continued to use the heat lamp while we had them at school.

We didn't have a specific risk assessment for them but we added a box to our daily risk assessment checklist that we are required to carry out.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Did the children ask what was going to happen to the male chicks? I just wondered if they were upset when they learned that male chick are always killed because they are seen as waste products by the egg industry. I should imagine that the children had become quite attached to the chicks after caring for them.

8. They were certainly not killed - the company we used are happy to take all of the chicks back (both male and female) and they are then taken to live on farms - I checked this with the man who runs the company before I agreed to use them.

9. Message for giggles_88
    Just had a look through the information we had when we had the chicks and there is some useful risk assessment information. I'd rather email you directly with the details if you'd like them.

10. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

That's reassuring to hear.
    I'd assumed that as it was a commercial enterprise, they'd be treated the way that the egg industry treats male chicks ie like this:
    http://viva.org.uk/campaigns/chickens/cracked.html