1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

hatching chicks!!! help and advice needed please from anyone who has done it!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jac7, Mar 15, 2008.

1. we are planning to hatch some eggs after the easter hols and i would just like to get some advice if anyone has ever given it a go?

2. we have just hatched ducklings in our fs2 they are really cute. we got them from local urban farm who lent incubator and brooder and all equipment that we needed.my husband wants to buy one as a pet quite tempted but think the mess will be too much!but as a short time project really exciting for children.

3. We have just done ours got an incubator and eggs from the local farm - self turns you just need to check tempertaure remains constant at 39 degrees. 21 days later watch with wonder and amazement.
    We hatched 3 and they are next door in my dining room as we speak as someone has to be willing to take them home on a weekend once hatched. My own kids loving having them and I shall be sad to take them back next week where they will stay on the educational farm.

My class have been fasinated and spent 40 mins the other day in a circle in silence watching them!

Great to do just stressful when you are waiting! Two of our chicks died in the egg during hatching so you do have to be prepared for that.

4. aneka, I live on a farm and we have ducks, among other poultry and animals. They make huge mess, need water, gutter and a lot of looking after. Unless you have a pond, a piece of ground fenced off, a duck house, a nesting box, access to clean straw and company for the duckling, it wouldn't be a good idea to have one as a pet. Sorry, not being bossy or arraogant.

5. I remember doing this way back when I was in grade 1. Make sure you very specifically tell them to be careful when you take them outside - some other kid ran right into the middle of our circle and stepped on poor chicken

6. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

My chicks were returned to the farm on Friday. We had them from www.livingeggs.co.uk they were brilliant as they came and set it all up in the classroom and the rep. said he was available 24 hours on the phone if you had any worries. They deliver on a Monday in our area and the chicks hatch on Wednesday and Thursaday so you don't have to wait long, just long enough for the children to see that stage and learn about the incubator.
    All classes in school and staff really loved it.

We were given all food sawdust even J-cloths for the floor of brooder.
    It was really easy, we just waited for them to hatch, then removed them to the brooder when completely dry, depending on when born it was probably between 12 and 24 hours old.
    We then fed them with a teaspoon of chick starter morning and after school. This built up after a day or two to 3-4 teaspoons twice a day. This was the bit I forgot and had to phone the rep. as mine were starving with only one spoonfull by day 3!

They had to be cleaned out once a day but were not as messy as I thought. You need a large box to put them in when you clean them out, high enough as they tried to jump out on the last day when they were a week old.
    All the classes enjoyed handling them after they were 1 or 2 days old. It was important that all children were sitting on floor for handling so if one panicked, they would not fall from a height.
    We had a school timetable for viewing and handling, some classes handled one group a day. We tended to only get 2 or 3 chicks out at a time as that was more manageable. In fact generally just one with the Nursery.
    It was important that an adult was accompanying the children as one day a supply teacher sent Year 5 on their own and the lid was left open and they had handled them in the brooder. We got sent a risk assessment which said to always wash hands with antibacterial soap after handling. I also bought antibacterial cleaning cloths for any floor or clothes 'spillages'. The chicks were actually very good when out and I think we only needed a cloth once in the whole time we had them.

Sorry gone on a bit here. You can tell I really loved having them. Let me know if you need to know anything else as I know it is a bit worrying before they arrive and you feel the responsibility.

7. We hatched chicks but in conection with a local farm, who took them there when they were a couple of days ol.d

8. Thanks for messages. Definately going for it! Can't wait!

9. Enjoy is all I can say!

10. renniemac dont worry i have spoken to several peolpe including a vet and yes i think that the responsibility is too much with a duck and we havent gt the right facilities...so dont think you are bossy or arrogant. it was just a nice idea but i had already come to same conclusion and so has hubby...so we are getting a second guinea pig instead !!

11. Ellweston

Ellweston New commenter

we went to our local chicken farm, and got to see loads of different types of chickens, then see the eggs in an incubator (even saw soem hatch) and then got to see the chicks - amazing for the children being able to see the whole process. We then hired an incubator and some eggs from the farmer.

BUT... out of 10 eggs, 2 hatched - one died straight away the other chick was ok but couldn't walk. Then went back to the farmer who gave us another one, which then also died! So be very careful if doing this process, think we were just VERY unlucky.

Another school in our area has hatched chicks but from a battery farm - which kills the chicks once returned!!

12. ebe

ebe New commenter

Word of warning - stick a big sign on the plug for the incubator in case the cleaner keeps switching it off to plug in the hoover........

13. I did this one year over here in Perth. Didn't have anybody to take chicks after they'd hatched. Managed to offload 5, but ended up with the remainder myself. My own garden beacame coated in chicken poo - yes good for soil I know, but not so attractive onany spare ledge. Also all of the chicks turned out to be cockrels. i live in a near city suburb; ****-a-doodle-do x 7 is not welcome early in the morning especially at weekends. The final insult was when they started crowing one morning at 1 00am and I had to bring them indoors. Not popular!!
    Eventually I managed to find someone who knew a farmer who would take them.

Moral of the story .. make sure you know where they are going afer hatching. Cute they may be...

14. I hatched some chicks in incubator about two weeks ago. It is a fantastic experience for the kids to see-even I am overwhelmed when I see them hatch. Not to be missed if you have the opportunity.

15. 2 of our chicks have hatched today sooooo cute we have ten eggs left

16. Post 11 - Battery farm kills chicks.

No! Really? Well, who'd have thought it?

17. Ellweston

Ellweston New commenter

Post 16 - my point was if thats how your want your chicks to end their lives then fine - but otherwise be wise where you get them from!

18. Very sad just took ours back to the farm tonight. The kids will miss them dearly as been inspired by them. can't wait till next year.

19. Hi, I run a nationwide project called Eggs for Education. I provide schools with full hatching kits with useful resources for teachers to use during the project. They say that working with children and animals is never a good combination, I however, do my very best to reduce worry of classroom hatching enabling teachers to enjoy the experience as much as the children.

A few things to consider:

Not all the eggs will hatch as there is no guarantee with nature. All eggs are provided from proven DEFA accredited hatcheries. Usually meaning that one cockerel will run with 2 hens thus improving the chance of the eggs being fertilised. If you have eggs for a full 21 day project then it is very useful to 'candle' the eggs in order to monitor the chick development inside of the egg.

Consider placing your eggs in to the incubator on a Monday/Tuesday as 21 days later will also be a Monday/Tuesday which hugely improves the chance of your eggs hatching during the school day and not over the weekend which is a great disappointment for the children.

When children witness the absolute delight of tiny little chicks hatching from their eggs in the classroom it truly is an amazing experience! Good luck x