1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has your summer holiday mentally prepared you for a potentially challenging year or...

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by ark70, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Well, has your long summer holiday (two weeks to wind down from school, two weeks off falling out with your spouse and children and two weeks preparing for school) provide you yet with any opportunity to rest? Have you developed the usual (or new) 'surprise' illness or have you acquired the haircut from hell just in time for the new term?
    In all cases, I can say yes, yes, yes, yes and yes too, to the obligatory 'winding down' man-flu. And a final yes to the dodgy haircut which I hope will grow out before September.
    What about you?

2. :-D Only a few days with a migraine at the start of the hols - always happens when the pressure is off, a few weeks of lovely time on my own - hurrah for not being attached - and I won't start work until next week. Can't be much to do. Well, there is but I'm in a state of denial.

3. I have had a fantastic summer break but then I have only just started thinking about work and I don't have a husband anymore so some of your scenarios don't fit me! I've done a good deal of voluntary work canoe and kayak coaching, walked a lot of miles and looked after my friends dog. It was almost a shock to the system going in for results day yesterday! Probably a good job since I have the timetable from hell when I get back!

4. Denial is good!
    It enables the mind to break free from the shackles of the mundane and tedious.
    However, my wife says that I live in cloud cuckoo land and just need to get on with loading the dishwasher. I can't even use the usual excuse...."but honey, I've got to plan for my year 10 class..."

Oh poo!

5. I can't remember who said it but I remember a quote that goes something like ' Hell is...being trapped on a desert island with your family and relatives!'.
    My twist on this would be..."Hell (for my family and relatives) is...being trapped in a caravan with a teacher who has no planning work to do, who hasn't brought a laptop along and hasn't managed to sneak a copy of their student data for light reading at bedtime."
    What do people do to relax in the holidays...any advice, gratefully received.

6. I have to read, i's the only thing that gets my ind off my life!

7. This made me laugh so much-it's just how I am.
    I find it harder that I don't know any other teachers so am home alone for 4 weeks (2 for hols). I need to find someone to spend my days with and tear me away from thinking about next year! Any offers?!

8. Ark70, you are thinking of: "Hell is other people". It was said by Jean-Paul Sartre.

9. Wasn't he in the Beatles? (or was that was Ringo - sorry!)
    Good job then that I'm not an RS or philosophy teacher really isn't it?

Hope the new school has started well and you're not signing off sick with stress or something spurious. I am now going to school for a rest! (I told my wife i'm after the cardiac variety!) She just threw my bag at me...lol!