1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has your county decided on a day in lieu of the Royal Wedding bank hol?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I haven't heard a peep from this in school, but...
    A student teacher has had a letter from her child's school (Flintshire) to say that they are having a day closed before the Easter hols.
    A friend of mine who works in Wrexham says that they are finishing a day early for the Summer term instead.
    What is happening in other authorities?

2. I haven't heard a peep from this in school, but...
    A student teacher has had a letter from her child's school (Flintshire) to say that they are having a day closed before the Easter hols.
    A friend of mine who works in Wrexham says that they are finishing a day early for the Summer term instead.
    What is happening in other authorities?

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

What do you mean, "In lieu of the Royal Wedding Bank hol?" It's a BANK HOLIDAY, no kids will turn up that day!!

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

The royal wedding falls in our Easter holidays so we don't get that extra day off that all other public sector workers have.
    I heard a rumour that our county (Powys) are finishing a day early at the end of Summer term.
    ie. Monday 18th (or something) is not now a P.D. day, the previous Friday is.

Hope it's true!!

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

We are getting it (Kirklees) It is in our Easter holidays and we are getting it on a random Monday from what I can tell, think it is actually in March before the wedding suprisingly!

6. Yes, we're getting an extra day too. Schools can decide when, so we're breaking up a day early in the summer.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

It seems really strange that some schools are getting an extra day off. We're having the Bank Holiday as the wedding happens to fall just after the Easter holiday in my county. But often Easter bank holidays or August bank holidays fall during the school holidays, and we've never had an extra day's holiday to compensate.
    I know that we need the holidays, because the work load is so horrendous these days that we're all knackered by the end of every half-term. But we get a hell of a lot more holidays than most people. Surely parents get a bit miffed if they've got to sort out child-care for an extra day, just because teachers don't want to lose out on a bank holdiay.

8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We go back after Easter on Tuesday 26th, have Wednesday and Thursday in school and then off on the Friday for the Wedding and Monday for the Bank Holiday. And there are local elections on Thursday 5th so many schools are closed then too!

9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Thats the same as us carrie. We use the polling day as inset and also added another inset for the friday so after easter we will do a 3 day, then 4 day then 3 day week and it is a short half term, I think 5 weeks. It will really b*gger up our progress as we have a really messed up half term.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

and as I teach yr 6, we have SATs the following week[​IMG]

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think the 'extra' day comes because for some people the real day falls in their holidays and so they would miss out otherwise. It isn't really an extra as such.

We have the day itself, so just back for Tues-Thurs that week and then Tues - Fri the week after. And yeps Carrie I have SATS with my year 6 the week after that! Honestly you would think someone would have told Kate and William...

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

That is one I have never been able to understand. Why would you shut the school?

13. I thought it was a public holiday not a bank holiday so noone can claim a day in lieu. My friend works in the hospital and they have been told it is a public holiday and they have to work as normal- no extra pay or time in lieu given.

14. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The day in lieu thing presumably stems from the need to keep conditions the same for all teachers across the country. So, where those of us are back at school before the Bank Holiday, our contracts have had to be amended to require only 194 days work, so other areas need to adjust their terms accordingly.

15. Some schools have to shut for elections because the polling station is inside the school building. Safety is compromised where doors are open all day and all sorts of people are traisping through the school at the same time as the children.

16. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Because you can't have the great unwashed, with no CRB checks, wandering around the school grounds and buildings. People have to be free to arrive and vote at any point in polling station hours. Imagine having total strangers walking through the playground at lunchtime or breaktime?

17. We're having 10th July, and that's Kirklees. I wonder if different schools/pyramids are having different days?

18. my previous school used to cope this this - voting was in the hall - we just closed the hall off - public had to use the fire escape doors to get it - no access/no problem. There has to be some sense to it, surely!
    x

19. Not all schools are able to shut certain sections off in this way.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We cant close off our hall either, classes either side and no access to outside. Even if it did, this would be into the children's playground. Staff can use the school by using access doors and classrooms in one half of the school (we are not allowed through the polling area) so we have it as an inset day.