1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has this adviser overstepped the mark?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by BrainJim, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Friend of mine is an acting head. The shortlisting took place for the headship and the next day the adviser came in and said to her 'based on your application letter if you hadn't have been the internal candidate you would not have got an interview'
    I never heard of pre-interview feedback. She is now considering withdrawing as she feels they are just going through the motions with her.
    What do you think?

2. Our LA advisers give feedback about application letters even if the applicants are not short listed. I think she may have your your friend a favour by letting her know that her letter isn't up to much. Take it the other way: they obviously know something good about her or they wouldn't consider interviewing her.

3. The thing is this: should what happened during the selection process be made known or should it have remained confidential. Are other candidates being given 'tips'?
    I can't see the point of the adviser giving feedback prior to the interview and surely feeback comes with positives too

4. I see your point however she can't change her letter now so knowing it's not great hasn't altered her chances for this particular appointment.