1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has the recruitment market really started?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Jason_Bourne_, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I've fired off loads of applications but not really heard anything back which is a genuine surprise because I teach an in demand subject and have good experience. I've recently found out the quite a few international schools advertise various jobs without them actually being available, for example, if a teacher is unsure as to whether or not they will re-sign their contrac, then the school will advertise their job even though the employee has a couple of months to formally notify their school of their intentions. Are there many people who have secured employment for the next academic year and/or received feedback from schools regarding their applications?

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

My school is doing that. No one has resigned yet (first week in December is the deadline) and yet they are advertising for teachers.

Teachallover and Jason_Bourne_ like this.
  3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

It’s exactly what our place does as well. We’ve been asked intentions - yes, no, maybe and it’s made clear to the maybes that their job is being advertised and they will be asked to commit once closing date is reached. So it could easily happen that someone applies for a job at our place and receives a rejection as it turned out there was no job.

Not sure what the schools can do. Visas etc take a good while to organise, current staff are hesitant to commit so early. Rock and a hard place, it seems to me.

Teachallover and Jason_Bourne_ like this.
  4. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

Hi Jason.

Reading your threads, you’ve applied for a few jobs I’ve applied for too.

My situation is different in that I am trying to get back in after many many years out.

However, I have probably fired off 50 or 60 applications and only heard back from three schools. One school I heard back from the head who was lovely. We had had an informal conversation by Skype prior to shortlisting - I think he wanted to sound me out due to my lack of recent experience. After the shortlisting (I wasn’t shortlisted) he took the time to personally contact me and explain why. He has also offered to mentor me and give me advice through the rest of the recruitment season.

He was a shining light in a market that seems to treat potential teachers as nothing more than names on a piece of paper.

snitzelvonkrumm and suem75 like this.
  5. suem75

suem75 New commenter

I'm in the same position - lots of applications, but deafening silence! I tell myself advertising' has started, but doesn't mean they're doing anything with the applications yet.

I've received some feedback on applications, though. A couple of interviews, and half a dozen or so rejection emails. Am resigned to biding my time on this. I'll either get a job or I won't.

Jason_Bourne_ likes this.
  6. 576

576 Established commenter

I know a teaching couple who have already had interviews.

Redparrotfish and Jason_Bourne_ like this.
  7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I know two people who already have jobs. There is no logic behind any of this. We have a position up on our website that they are waiting on student numbers to see if it goes ahead.

Jason_Bourne_ likes this.
  8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

We’re the same as Rouxx. Intents are in: yes, no, maybe. And we’re advertising, interviewing and offering- not many offers given yet, but a few.
    For our maybes, we still interview. If we find someone we want, the existing “maybe” teacher is asked for a firm decision. We can’t turn away a great applicant for a teacher who might leave us.

2mature likes this.
  9. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

My notice was due in at the end of October, and most people leaving our school were in the same situation, but there are still a few negotiations happening.
    I have a job for next year, and a few of my colleagues are sorted. A few have interviews next week, but some have not started applying yet.

Redparrotfish likes this.
  10. Jason_Bourne_

Wow... That sounds like how a school should communicate with potential recruits! Whilst we may have applied for the same schools, I doubt that it is for the same job. There is no way that I've made a similiar number of applications as yourself

11. Jason_Bourne_

Can I please ask which country you're currently working in and if you can drop some hints regarding useful recruitment websites that you have used

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Three of our leavers have jobs already. They’re all people who would be of special interest to recruiters.

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My new principal told me, "I do not have a job for you at the moment, so I will make one." I am going to be starting in January. My retirement did not last very long!

I do not know much about useful websites, Jason_Bourne, but one or two misguided people occasionally send a message to a smelly old African swamp-dweller.

2mature likes this.
  14. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

I am new to my school in Qatar. Next week we are being asked about our "intentions for next year". So if my school is anything to go by for international schools, "the market" will open in the next few weeks.

I would be checking on TES careers and associated sites every day...that worked for me!

15. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would say the job markets are under starter's orders. Peak time is December to February, but some schools recruit earlier.

Some principals start interviewing in December as they like to get their Christmas shopping done. A nice week in London all expenses paid in a 5 star hotel.

Other principals like a nice week in Dubai in February for some winter sun, again expenses paid for a 5 star hotel.

theintlteacher likes this.
  16. loislane1

loislane1 New commenter

We have a second skype interview next week. It's really scary applying and getting interviews this early but if the right school/country are advertising now, it is crazy not to apply. We are a bit worried that it's too early and something better may come along later.

17. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

LOL. Got bored did you? Are you staying in beautiful Bulgaria or off elsewhere?

18. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, yes, getting up late and eating yet another cooked breakfast does get boring after a while, Redparrotfish. Even Bulgaria is not quite so beautiful on a grey November day. Mrs Hippopotamus is happy about the prospect of living in Sofia, but she wants the school to give us an apartment near a park and then she will be able to take our little doggie for a walk.

loislane1, yes, something better might indeed come along later. On the other hand, nothing at all might come along and you could find yourself unemployed if you leave it too late. Just because you apply for a job and even have an interview does not mean that you absolutely must accept it, if indeed it is offered to you. However, I am one of those fuddy-duddy people who think that you should keep your word and honour your new contract, if indeed you have signed it.

loislane1 and Redparrotfish like this.
  19. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

Sofia is very pleasant and the air will be cleaner than China, Best wishes.

20. That sounds like me last year. Just keep on applying and applying. It does get very frustrating at times. In a couple of cases, some schools got back to me months after I sent them my application.

suem75 likes this.