1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has the Raspberry Pi been an 'amazing success'?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by alevelteacher, Jul 7, 2015.

1. According to this website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33427816

"The Raspberry Pi has been an amazing success since it was launched in 2012"

IMHO, there is no evidence to back up this claim, made by private companies to the very gullible BBC. It seems the BBC has lost all powers of critical evaluation and seems to suck in all the hyperbole fed to it without any checking, requirements for evidence and some cynicism of claims made by private, profit-seeking companies. My experience is that no schools in my area have had the time, money, training, resources, space or inclination to plan and deliver sets of Pi lessons. A few teachers bought one with good intentions, but that was as far as it ever got.

Claims that this has been an 'amazing success' is not supported by any independent evidence and the BBC should be thoroughly ashamed of its poor journalistic offerings on this issue.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It has been for those that are using it.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I would be the first to jump on a bandwagon that slams anything computing based, but I have to say that I do feel it has been a success. One of my ex students replaced banks of servers across the Royal Mail that were monitoring sorting machine errors with Raspberry Pis. Apparently it has saved them a 7 figure sum already.

4. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

I would argue that it is rather like lego of old nice idea but you need the space to set it up. Ideally a dedicated room with them set up would work but space is at a premium. With the set up it is almost impossible to do in a single lesson!

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

With good classroom management it isn't that difficult. However, recycled Science teacher so used to doing such things.

6. I'ts absolutely been a success, especially outside of education! In schools, I can see how you might attribute learning with Pis to be a massive pain, having to set stuff up each lesson and getting the kids to use it is something they -have- to do, not something they -want- to do for the most part. It is brilliant however, especially when you consider that if these kids are going to go into industry then their experience with Linux is only going to help them.

Outside of school I have one myself that i've setup as a media server, and my brother has one that he uses to manage his micro server. They are fantastic and the flexibility of such a cheap computer is what makes it so successful.

You say that the BBC are well off base but the sales speak for themselves: Almost 6 million Pis sold and over half a million of the Pi2 already. You don't sell that many products if it's bad. The Pi has filled a gap in the marked that's existed for years.

7. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter