1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has the average age of teachers in schools gone down ?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by curlyk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Have just counted up how many friends ,who started teaching when I did, have taken early retirement this year ,or last. Presume this is a nation wide phenomenon .So has the average age of teachers in our schools gone down recently.?There seems to have been a general exodus, for various reasons, of any teacher over 55 from state education,latterly. I know we are too expensive for most academies to keep on , but are we too bolshie ?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Less likely to stick around and put up with **** certainly but I never actually argued with anything I was asked to do - perhaps I should have.

3. partickz

partickz New commenter

North Lanarkshire Council has just used more than £1million from reserves to give early retirement enhancements to more than 150 staff over 55 as it looks to get rid of staff on inflated salaries after carrying out management restructuring.

In my school, Art, Technical Education and Music were merged into one Faculty led by one promoted member of staff. This was the same across all other subject areas and in all 23 schools. We have lots of newly qualified teachers in next year to replace them and lots of unpromoted teachers who will no doubt be pressured into taking on more responsibility as the Faculty Heads stuggle to manage 20 members of staff across three subject areas.

4. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

not sure what you mean by this [​IMG]

5. partickz

partickz New commenter

Kitty, inflated was the wrong word. Basically, they are still paid the promoted post salary for a number of years after they lose their post as part of conserved salary agreements. Even with unpromoted staff they want cheaper teachers on lower salary points.

6. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Oh I see - protected salaries!

7. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

After becoming an academy the average age of staff must have fallen by about fifteen years!

8. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Sad loss of so many experienced teachers to the system.School staffrooms should reflect the mix in our society,male and female, young and more experienced .

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My first staff room was very young. Head and deputy were perhaps 48. The next oldest teacher was 30 then the other 5 of us were under 25. I don't think that was unusual in 1972.

10. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I started in 1979, in a very large comprehensive, the staffroom had a range of teachers from 21 year olds to 65 year olds , a smokers corner, even a young female deputy Head .There was always someone to go to whatever the problem, the older ones had experiences of every type of child and behaviour issue and at the end of the week we all went to the pub together .

11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So true ...

..and how much staff development/CPD (or whatever the current phrase is) occurred over break and lunch time with people offering ideas, advice or moral support, " Yes, that class is difficult. What i find is ........." - straight to the point, support and training on the spot before the issue became worse, no paperwork, and nearly always a solution.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So true indeed!

That's what I remember most about teaching way back then ( I started in late 70s). I'm often heard to say, "that I am the type of teacher I am today because of all my superb colleagues, who I've had the fortune to teach alongside and benefit from their experience."

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I started in 78, and the community of the staff room was as others have described. A wide range of ages and, for the most part it was a community, with people trying to help each other get along rather stab each other in the back. All of what would now be called CPD was done over the IPC!

if my last staffroom was anything to go by, not only was there a preponderance of much younger teachers but the majority of them were female.