1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has supply work dried up everywhere?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon255, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    Just wondering what the flow of supply work is like for other supply teachers?
    I started doing supply in February in Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs area, (I live central for the borders of all 3 counties) however I don't seem to be getting much work at all I had a stretch of eight weeks with no work and now I'm averaging 1-2 days a week.
    Is this the case for most people?
    I have 8yrs experience and good refs, just not sure why I dont get offered much? I do get asked back to schools I have been to and get good feedback, but still not regularly enough to cover mortgage etc
    Thanks

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

What agency are you with? The one i'm with has had me on long term cover all year and I spoke to a fellow supply from the same agency thats had near enough a full years work on day to day/short tem bookings. PM me if you don't want to say on the forums, if it's not the same as me then I can pass on the name of the one i'm with.

3. I've been doing supply for over 12 years and this is the worst year yet. Since half-term I've had very little work and I've had to sign on JSA and I'm thinking of taking my pension early. All agencies seem to be the same. A useful site is Rate My Agency where supply teachers comment on lots of agencies. I'm based in the North East which may be different.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Supply work has generally died off in my area.
    1-2 days a week! More like 1-2 days a month if one is lucky.I've had a month with just one afternoon & I know of others on this forum who've had less than that.
    Having said that, I happen to be on a long-term sick cover at the moment, so that makes up for the slack periods this year but I still don't expect to reach the tax threshold of 6K by next April!

5. Managed 25 days autumn term , 4.5 days a week 1 to 1 spring term and will have done about 30 days of mixed supply and 1 to 1 this term and got a long term supply for next term ... overall my days have gone up over the three years I have been doing supply not down.

6. I am doing ok. Worked 5 days a week for the last 3 wks. Normally I get 3 or 4 days a week. I ve done it on and off for the last 7 years. I have found that you have to work much harder now and pro active. I ring the agencies all the time asking if they have work. and tell them my availability 2 times a wk. ring them straight back when they leave a msg I ring back quickly. I am flexible and will say yes to most things. I think that helps but I ve got in the position where a few schools always want me and I think the agency knows they can put me in somewhere and they can rely on me to turn up and do a good job so the school is pleased and so are they.

7. I work in the south and after a shaky start in the autumn i have found it has increased. I only want a couple of days a week though. I am not sure what next year will hold. You can't rely on one school you need quite a few.

8. jj80

jj80 New commenter

I live in east London and it has definetly dried up!! It all seemed to happen after Easter break. I thought it was because I moved but Im glad to see its not me. My agency said that schools are not looking for much supply work because of budget cuts etc. So my agency is focusing on long term work....so they say..[​IMG]

9. Many places, such as mine, have no supply work at all.

10. No supply work at all for me. But I have noticed that one of my agencies, though not my local office, has been advertising for cover supervisors at a pay rate higher than mine even though I have been teaching for over 30 years.

11. 3 full days in the autumn term, 20 days in the spring term, about six days this term (but very spread out). I live in a very rural county but not far from a city - so many of the schools in my county are very small and thus have smaller budgets for things such as supply - about 95% of my work has been in large schools in the city centre. I'd have had more work if the schools weren't closed over the winter, too!

12. I'm actually chugging along OK considering I always anticipate work being deader than a dead thing at this time of year (I mentally plan on very very little work after about mid-June as a general rule) but I've had 3 and a half days this week (I aim for 2/2.5 as my target - I don't want to work 5 days a week unlike a lot of supplies) and I've got good solid blocks of 2 days a week for the next couple of weeks by which time we'll be into the last week of term where I don't ever expect work.

13. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

That's shocking!!! Have you queried this with your agency??