1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has Society 'gone to hell in a handcart?'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Feb 5, 2016.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Has Society reached a new low in 2016?

Or are things better than they have ever been?

Views please! (And I will add my own later, I won't tell you now for fear of biasing the answers!)

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No... this is what a society that has 'gone to hell in a handcart' looks like...

Anyone claiming the UK is similar is delusional.

3. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

No. This is a destroyed city. A "society" is a more abstract concept about the way people live and interact together. Yes Homs is wrecked, but their "society" might not be, if anyone still lives there.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No Jacob, their society has been destroyed. The city symbolises that.

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Would you say a handcart is more like a barrow or a trolley?

colpee, cissy3, Duke of York and 4 others like this.
  7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Hyper connectivity has made things better and worse. Roughly speaking, the good things in life are better; and ... well you guessed it.

Also, hyper connectivity has enabled us to know and see suffering more easily.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I no longer understand (perhaps I never did) how our society expects to work for the good of all, when so many people are in dire straits and so much wealth is owned by so few. Then there are the career (benefit) scroungers to add to the mix along with millions of migrants. It is incomprehensible.
    Going back to 1953 when I started school all families had a home (Council or private) and all homes had a bread winner (where I lived). There was order and the rule of law. It seemed to me throughout that decade and a little beyond that our society had a structure which may have been flawed but you could see it and it seemed to work reasonably well.
    Now everything seems in a permanent state of flux. Then again it might be age creeping up on me.:rolleyes:

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Or, judging by the content of your post, you are viewing history with some significantly rosy spectacles

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Possibly, yet having lived through that time I can assure you it was real. Generally there were fewer of the luxuries which we now take for granted but on reflection it seems to me that there was a more general equality in the standard of living and things were more ordered.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There was a programme on about a family living as if in the fifties. Of the whole family everyone hated it as being hard work and restrictive - except the 11 year old son who had more freedom than anyone else. The narrator made the point that when we hear of the post-war golden age it is often those who would have been boys at the time talking, not those who lived through it as adults.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It has changed significantly.

If you're black, gay or a woman? (Or even that most-prized of beings a black, gay woman)

I suspect you'll think life is a great deal easier than it would have been. As @Flere-Imsaho points out though, the adolescent boy might well fell rather differently.

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I didn't see anyone claim that the UK was similar to this.

There are always people worse off than you. Of course, there will be people somewhere int he world who are worse off than the residents in those homes, but it doesn't mean they don't have the right to complain.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Of course there are... they aren't me. Poor souls.

It's called perspective...

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

That makes sense to me.

lanokia likes this.
  16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I started school in Harrow in 1959. The houses closest to the school were crumbling terraced houses with smashed windows and visible cracks in the brickwork, no bathrooms and shared outside lavatories. Some of the children lived in these, particularly one large family the sons of which were very wild and created havoc in the school. Others lived in slum flats. There were large gaps between these buildings where WW2 bombs had ripped through leaving layers of wallpaper and fireplaces hanging exposing rooms like a doll's house and bomb sites which were just piles of rubble where the children played. Some, mainly the many recent immigrant children, lived in old Victorian houses split into multiple occupation. Other more fortunate children, like me, came from decent private or council housing a little further away.

It's a bit of a digression but just to show that @lexus started school in a very different place and that some things have improved.

17. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Good grief!
    Me too :)

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Rural Cheshire was and still is a quiet backwater.

19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Barrow, but wouldn't sound the same.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The school was pulled down in the 60s to make way for a Civic Centre - does that ring any bells?