1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has having a family affected your career?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lovesmyfamily, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Strange question I know as I should be thinking about just seeing the end of this birth, but I would love to eventually one day become a head teacher and i was wondering how all you mummys out there coped with promotion -
    did it get affected by to taking time off for babies?
    have you been to interview for a higher position - how did it go relating to family
    and any out there that are already in SLT how do you find it working with a family?
    Thanks!
    xx

2. I think it depends on the person you are. I went back full time for a bit after my daughter was born and the hardest thing I found was that I felt guilty doing things at the weekend that did not include my daughter. As such I felt that I completely was losing my own identify and personally I could not imagine living like that and I ended up going part time, which allowed me much more time with my daughter. I think that what you definitely do need is a supportive partner though who does their half - you arent going to be an HT doing all the dropoffs, pickups bed time routine etc and a day off everytime one of your children is ill.

3. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

I was on SLT and have dropped it for when I return from maternity in April when LO is only 8 months. I can't see how I can work full time plus stay for more late night meetings, run a year group and be constantly asked question, prepare for PPA (rest of team turn up and expect year leader to have prepared, fair enough that what we get paid extra for). I'm looking forward to 'just' being a class teacher and having less meetings, knowing I can leave early and work in the eve when LO is in bed.
    When she's older and life is more settled I could (be don't think I want to) move up again when positions are available or go for a new job. I think it comes down to your personality, organisation, childcare and outlook on being a parent - moving up career wise doesn't make you a bad Mum (you're doing it to support your family financially as well as for yourself) but sit back and think that these baby years only happen once, you can't go back and see them again, there are many more years, I'm guessing as I don't know your age, to move up the ladder.

4. Thanks for your replies!
    I am 26 :) so in theory have plenty of years to sort career out - I lost out on the baby years with my first as I was at uni 150 miles away while her dad looked after her and I returned at weekends. It worked for me at the time (she was 4 months old when I started) so I don't know how I will feel this time.
    I just have a career head on at the mo and I love working and want to head up
    Thank you for all your responses :)

5. Blimey missrobinson if you could cope with that the you'll be fine for headship in the future! It must have been hard but you obviously had good ways of managing and prioritising. I was talking to my OH and saying that I have a colleague who has a two-year-old, management point at work, and does loads of projects on the side as well as teaching full time. Yet, she still manages to bake cupcakes for the staffroom, days out with her daughter at weekends etc! How on earth she does it I don't know but she is obviously an incredible manager of time (unlike me!!) Anything is possible. Sounds like your career is important to you whereas at the moment I couldn't care less about mine! X

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'm not a mum but have worked with several over a long time in teaching. There are plenty of people who do combine motherhood with SLT positions and indeed headship. It really depends on what your priorities are. I worked with someone who got a headship when the youngest of her children was still a pre schooler.
    If you have an interview for a higher position then there should be no questions about your family - same as any job interview. If they start asking those sort of questions then it's sex discrimination.
    Most women I know don't make it to the top after having children because their priorities change and they decide they'd rather spend more time with their children than go for promotion. If you want promotion then you'll need a good support network - a partner who is willing to do lots of childcare (which it sounds like you have) will be important. Childcare is expensive, of course, but if you have a senior position it will be better paid than an ordinary teacher.
    See how you feel when your baby arrives - you may decide you want to concentrate more on being a mum and there is nothing wrong with changing your mind. What is important to people does change - my career was very important to me but after many years of trying unsuccessfully for a baby (which ironically wrecked my career in a way that I doubt actually having a baby would have) I have a different view.
    Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and the birth and hope you have a happy, fulfilling future whatever decisions you make.