1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has ********** gone away?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by vancie, Dec 31, 2009.

1. I disagree that it made us lazy. I thought his phonics resources, for example, were excellent. Moot point however, I won't be using them again.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I agree that the sight of these resources will now be an unpleasant reminder of what sb has done. On the other hand, I shan't pull down the laminated handwashing signs till new ones are ready to go up. Disagreeable though they are to us adults, they are not, in themselves, harmful to children.

3. if your children are anything like mine with their enthusiastic use of water, they've got about 3 weeks!

4. That has not been proved- where is the evidence as to exactly WHAT he has done? The info I have seen suggests he has admitted a second offence but no information about that offence. I also have to agree that those people who raved about wonderful ********** and are now saying classrooms are all the same and it is a negative thing are not thinking logically. That is not to say that I think the materials should be used but you have to admit we have lost a good 'service. It is also worth remembering that he is not the only person behind ********** there are others involved with it too.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Could you point to any posts where I have raved about **********?
    His first offence is well documented
    http://onlinenews.warwickshire.police.uk/briefings/archivefolder/2005/09/200596COMMENDA/old_wpapressrelease_view
    http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/south-warwickshire-news/tm_objectid=15007459&method=full&siteid=50003&headline=primary-teacher-in-child-****-shame-name_page.html
    oddly enough none of his employees have come forward to explain his absence

6. Does anyone know how I can remove the toolbar from my computer?

7. Msz

I didn't say you did name anyone but as one of those who mentioned cloned classrooms I thought I would make it clear I have never raved about ********** (and I know I'm not alone ) I doubt any details of his second offence will be made public until he is sentenced butfor me the first offence is enough. I was not implying his employees (if they exist) are in any way involved just answering your point that he is only part of the ********** machine.

8. Msz

Start
    go to control panel
    add or remove programmes
    and select **********

9. Thanks Msz. I am officially no longer a toolbar user

10. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

This is so scary, and sad isn't it!

11. Msz

We teach the children e safety but are we always careful enough ourselves?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Had could we have known?

13. Msz

All the warning signs were there on hindsight but perhaps we didn't want to see them. People have been raising the issue of the ban by certain LAs for at least 2 years and no one wanted to listen. It's only a few weeks ago there were harsh words posted on a thread
    What is it they say on the training ...If it's too good to be true then it probably isn't ...unlimited free resources
    hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say

14. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

P.S. I know we do have to be very careful about what we say about people, but sometimes a little information is necessary to enable us to make informed decisions rather than expecting us to read between the lines

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

[my bold]
    We have no evidence that that was the case.

16. We will probably find out what his second offence was after the sentencing sometime this month.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

its strange...but we never ask about the back ground of all the other posters of resouces and site we use..one wonders how many more might be run by dodgy people.

18. It has certainly made me think I should be less trusting - how depressing is that?

19. Sentencing is due on Friday January 8 at Worcester Crown Court. Hopefully this will be picked up by the media and the circumstances of this case made more widely available than in a few educational forums. It will then allow many more teachers and parents who use the ********** resources at present to decide if they want to go on supporting the work of someone who has not repented or reformed since his first conviction and has set up a website that supports his lifestyle. Hopefully this time if there is a ban on his use of the Internet, it will not be overturned on appeal.
    The lesson from this incident is to be careful about your sources when using the Internet and to learn to read between the lines. ********** has posted the following on the site:
    Staff are background-checked
    Though ********** is aimed at adults, staff have been comprehensively background-checked and cleared for work at our Company. While this is undoubtedly true it does not actually say that all of those checked did not come up as registered sex offenders, merely that they were cleared to work for the company.
    This from the CEOP statement issued on Tuesday clarifies the situation.
    “It is understood that a person who is on the record as an owner and director of ********** Teacher Resources Limited (which appears to claim ownership of the ********** web site and children’s learning materials) is a registered sex offender who has recently admitted a second offence, is on remand in prison and is awaiting sentence in January.”
    The Northern Grid and the South West Grid blocked the ********** site in mid-2009. Given the arrest and subsequent guilty plea by the man in question, their concerns and actions were justified. No matter what the relative merits of the resources, I would not give support to this man because of his sustained disregard for the rights of children to grow up safe from abuse.