1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has film or TV directly influenced your behaviour?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Apr 3, 2011.

1. We had TV only intermittently as children and the cinema was an occasional treat. I am not sure that it was a blessing to discover that other people (who at that age seemed real rather than idealised fiction) lived lives and had relationships that were absolutely nothing like mine. Better ones.

2. We didn't own a TV until I was about 15. And when we rented one, the choice of channel always went to birthdad.
    When we could manage it we went to the Saturday Picture Show. (I think it was something like 3d for the return busfare, and the cinema was free for the Picture Show if you brought an empty jam jar!) Lots of excitement in those shows...My sister liked spy films and westerns and loved to act them out. (I never liked play-acting....probably my Aspieness)...I loved the sci-fi - and still have a soft spot for those old sci-fi classics! I would retell the stories to myself a hundred times. The family side of children's films confused me. Even when I was young I knew that my parents marriage was less than perfect, I couldn't understand the loving parents shown in films as they didn't fit with my personal knowledge.
    I was inspired by TV as I grew older....I used to watch the Open University (and they were on at some strange hours!) and loved science, the Maths ones fascinated me most. I understood less than half of it (I was in my early teens...and a very strange child - I read the encyclopaedia and dictionary for fun!) but was fascinated by it all. Years later I actually took my BSc - in Maths - with the OU!
    Cookery shows have certainly inspired me. Especially Graham Kerr and Keith Floyd.
    Books have inspired me more than TV/films. I loved (and still love) the Chalet School series by Elinor Brent Dyer. In the days when holidays were still a possibility for me, I travelled to a number of 'Chalet School' locations.

3. (I was in my early teens...and a very strange child - I read the encyclopaedia and dictionary for fun!)
    I did too! And so did Son2. Am I right in thinking you have ASD, Bethannie, or am I confusing you with someone else? I think my younger son is although he's never been - and never will be properly - assessed. Am thinking the collections, the ordering, the learning of facts may have come from me :)
    I was thinking of Graham Kerr just today! There was someone on the telly whose surname was Kerr and I remember not knowing, as a child, is if should be pronounced "Cur" or "Care". So I always referred to him as The Gallopping Gourmet. he always used to drag some menopausal female out of the audience to sample the dish - as if any woman that age at that time wouldn't have fainted away at the prospect of having a meal cooked for her by a man!

4. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I watched Human Traffic and thought 'Yup, this is fun!' and had a few happy years clubbing and working for the weekends [​IMG]

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Fanny Craddock taught me never to cook in an evening gown.

I suppose Changing Rooms encouraged me to have a go a sponging on paint work.

6. So did I and still do.
    So do my kids!
    Not sure TV has influenced me to do anything - I grew up not really being allowed to watch it, and if allowed to watch it, only for about an hour and only BBC and only selected programmes. Saturday morning matinee at the piccies for 20p entry was my highlight of the week - I got to watch daft things like the Banana Splits, but I was already about 14 or 15 by then!
    I am a bit more lenient with my children - although they still choose the "scientific let us explain things for children" kind of programmes.
    And then put me to shame as they understand it all and I very often don't.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The Clangers. I hate the thought that they are not real.

8. Yes, I have ASD - I was diagnosed very late in life. Why will your son never be properly assessed? (Not that there's a problem with no formal assessment - but I feel happier for knowing, and in my case it makes claiming certain benefits a little more straightforward).

9. They ARE real.
    I still watch the DVDs!!!!!
    And Mr. Ben.
    And the Wombles.

10. Yes. Whenever I watch Come Dine With Me I MUST have a glass of wine and it always makes me hungry. Even if I ate already. So that particular programme makes me hungry and makes me crave wine. That's probably not what you meant in your OP, but never mind.

11. Even as a baby 26 years ago, and when there was little known about ASD, I wondered about his self-sufficiency, his refusal to smile to order, and - I swear - before the age of one, his practice of arranging things and getting narked if they were re-arranged. He was a popular boy with others but had only ever one proper friend at a time and was never heartbroken if, as the first did, a move to a different town caused a break-up.
    Now he is a highly intelligent young man with a very small social circle who does not seem to need human company at all, nd whose standards of human companionship are so astronomically high they are very seldom met. He goes out really to maintain social contact that is necessary to smooth working relationships. he is happy and I have no idea why it bugs me so much that he is as he is when the way i had expected would probably lead to so much more pain!

12. That is me.
    I am low on the spectrum - never realised I was on the spectrum at all, until my late 30s.
    I switch off if you bore me, I am happier with books and things I can get my brain around. My brain works in patterns and colours (as does Beth's, we are both synaesthetics, if I remember correctly). I am also a good friend and listener, but only if I trust you and I rarely trust, as I find most people odd and two-faced, or I cannot understand what on earth they are blethering on about. But if I trust you, I am totally loyal.
    I used to be very gregarious - but this was because I just blindly trusted everyone to be honest and thought they think like me.
    I can't do intrigues or gossip - I don't understand them.