1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has exam marking had reimbursement slashed?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by jonty522r, Jul 24, 2019.

1. jonty522r

jonty522r New commenter

I have just finished marking for Edexcel and have to say really did not enjoy it this year. Seemed to be working later to get my allocation done. I ground my way through it and as always contributed to mark the pool. The pool stayed open for five days last year it was 24hours. I looked at the money earned which is a large part of why I sacrifice July Evenings and staff leaving doos where the amount I earned has fallen. Not only that the allocation for the Contract rose by 65%. Each questions reimbursement dropped one by almost 50%. The allocation I completed on last year's figures would have netted me an extra £517.56. that is without the extra Pool marking. Next year I shall have to question whether I will be marking for Edexcel?

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I have looked back on my contracts from the last six years with Edexcel and the online standardisation fee has not increased in all that time. I agree on the fee charged per item going down and contracts paying less. I feel many of the bad practices being used in school (academies) are finding their way into exam marking with management coming across as rude and condescending. I am seriously thinking of giving up next year and enjoying my summer more.

3. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

I've stopped doing it (AQA) and that's as a TL. No longer worthwhile financially.