1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has EIS shot themselves in the foot? Will SSTA membership surge due to this?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

I am staggered that the EIS agreed to COSLA's proposals. I know of several EIS members who have been in that union for quite sometime who are also disgusted and have now jumped ship to SSTA.

Do you think this will be a trickle or a wave of people moving to SSTA?

What is also going to happen as we have one union accepting and another rejecting?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Can't remember which thread the link is in, but the EIS still make up the majority share of the SNCT bods, so 'accept' it is, as the other unions together, are outnumbered.
    Something like that. P!sh anyway.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

4. Unfortunately the EIS have force fed the other unions a deal which is not to their taste, due to their majority vote on the SNCT. As Catmum says; this is just the start of what will be a concerted 3 pronged attack on our pay and conditions. It is heartening to note that the English teacher unions are ready to put up a fight in response to Hutton, including their HTs.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8482856/Schools-to-be-brought-to-a-standstill-by-teachers-strike.html

5. More than a trickle, but nowhere near a wave. Professional inertia will see to that. For too many in teaching, the salary is simply a useful bonus. (Please note that last sentence did not contain the word 'women').
    *ducks*

6. Hazza

Hazza New commenter

The fact that 57 out every hundred EIS members didn't bother their backsides to vote in the last ballot backs up your statement. I am stunned at the apathy in this profession.

7. I'm not. Grunwald makes a reasonable point

8. This is not justification for someone not voting, just information. I think everyone who could vote should vote. But some of the abstentions were from teachers who would not be effected by the changes, ie they will shortly leave teaching and felt they should not vote to impose (or no)t something on those of us staying.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Funny you should say that,Grunwald,but I had exactly the same conversation with a colleague last week! [​IMG]

10. For every ten diligent and effective women teachers, there's probably still two old gits like me going about. [​IMG]

11. This is all so hard. I am a supply, so this vote basically ends my 20 year career. Why should/would I take on this kind of day to day responsibility for less than a non teacher is paid? I don't just swan in at 8.45, leave at 3.25 and do nothing in between. This job takes about as much out of me as FT teaching did, with different rewards, and other challenges. Coping with these in the way competent supplies do, should surely be reflected in pay? If not...who is going to do jobs? Teachers will still get sick, courses will still happen, and all experienced supplies will have long gone, to crapper jobs, with less emotional investment for same pay. My salary kept us afloat, under new proposals, it will not provide a tin cup in recompense for lack of family time, missing my daughter's nursery assembly, blah, blah(matter to me, not anyone else)
    The grief I feel is immense. And I hope ft teachers who voted for this watch their backs, 'cos the back door to the erosion of your pay/pensions/careers is what has been opened,I fear.

12. pip806squeak,

Your post has brought a tear to my eye because you sum up so eloquently exactly how I am feeling. I have never felt this let down in my entire 20 year career. I am quite frankly in a state of shock and don't quite know where to turn. We have been sold down the river and the majority of our colleagues do not seem to care. Yes I too feel grief stricken because there is the possibility that I may never teach again. It has been all to ugly and underhand with a touch of sadism thrown in.

I am desperately thinking of how I can channel this overwhelming anger I feel in a positive direction because I need to do something before I self-destruct!

13. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I doubt it'll be a surge since less than half EIS members could be bothered to vote and over half of those bought the propaganda the leadership bombarded us with. I voted to reject and am gutted at the outcome and even I'm not yet decided on whether leaving the EIS is the right thing to do. It's the biggest union so has the biggest representation, but what good is that when they didn't manage to stop such appalling changes to p&c? But...

14. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

I have left because I felt so betrayed -26 years a member as well
    what on earth has happened to make people so apathetic??

15. I don't know if this is true but my dad is a secondary teacher and is SSTA. He told me today their turnout was around 80%.
    Says it all really.

16. I have now accepted that I will never again get a full-time permanent contract because I don't think that these will ever really exist again and I don't believe I will ever be considered for one again because I am at the top of the pay scale.
    Many thanks [​IMG] to all those apathetic idiots who put their heads in the sand because they didn't think that this would affect them. I was pretty sure that it was going to be a 'yes' vote but couldn't quite believe that the EIS were the ones who actually wanted that 'yes' vote.
    Well done to the other unions and 'reject eis' for standing up Ronnie Smith et al. Boo! to those who listened and believed him.

17. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

I note that Helen Connor, EIS Past President, defended RS on the EIS facebook page. She is of course absolutely correct: RS is a paid official and has no vote at all in policy matters. He will of course have plenty of advice to offer but it's the elected officials who make the decisions.

And that brings us to the point: what do disgruntled EIS members do? To paraphrase The Clash, should they stay or should they go?

To those who decide on the former option, I'd say "Good Luck. You'll need it." IMO the organisation is not what it was. When I started my teaching career, I admire the EIS commitment to teacher unionism and there's no doubt that we owe them a great debt for their success in national negotiations and in national salaries campaigns. In these, they were of course supported by the SSTA but EIS activists usually lack the grace to admit that.

The EIS now is a different animal. The leadership is ageing and in my opinion, disconnected from the membership's real needss. It has also become a "business" with its own credit card, financial services etc. These things are not important on their own but in the case of the EIS have become part of a "monopoly culture" in which EIS activists and leaders believe that the organisation can do no wrong. Joining up with local authorities to deliver CPD and appointing learning representatives to inform teachers what they need for CPD are examples of this.

I could go on but I think the SSTA President's item in the latest SSTA bulletin says it all.

http://www.ssta.org.uk/pdf/bulletin/Marchnewsletter.pdf

The SSTA made it clear to the EIS leadership that they were prepared to work with them in rejecting COSLA's approaches but that's not the EIS way I'm afraid. I am sure the same could be said about NASUWT.

Conclusion? Not for me to say. Every EIS member will have to make their own choice.

Turning this around

18. I am a deeply disappointed EIS member and full time teacher who has at various times been extremely active in the EIS.This is public knowledge and intend to continue to argue for what I believe is right, within the EIS and publicly when I can. It is also public knowledge that McCormac is providing a vehicle to attack teachers and our conditions and in my view countering that has to be our absolute priority right now. Check what your employer has submitted to McCormac. See what ADES has written. Make sure you and your union is doing all it can to get the right message out while McCormac is deliberating. This is not the time for intra-union turmoil or apathy. Our employers will love the vacuum that creates for their often strange ideas.

19. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Could not agree more. SSTA has been offering full cooperation with EIS in defence of education since SSTA Congress last year. I was there. I heard SSTA President make this offer. Also a motion offering full cooperation at SSTA Council in January.

Pity the EIS leadership were not listening!

20. My concern is the ability to defend against further attacks on conditions of service not the relationship or otherwise between unions. Attempts to score points will only strengthen the management/Cosla position.

Its time to remind everybody that the past 10 years have shown continuous improvement in exam results so why would you want to change the conditions of service that accompanied these improvements to replace them with turmoil.

TES printed an edited letter of my challenge to ADES's submission. The more said and written by teachers the more chance there is of McCormac listening.