1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

********** has been blocked again, why????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kiki D, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Sparkle Box has been banned in the school I work at for a couple of years now, and since Sept the head has been really stressing that we don't use it now. Understandable too!
    However, if we teachers are all banned from using the resources (and I totally agree that we shouldn't, as it kind of supports this guy!) why then are the majority of teaching resources in the new film 'Nativity' from **********?
    I did think, whilst watching the film, how sad am I knowing that they have ********** resources up, and then feeling cross that the film company is advertising them, when the teaching community is trying to reject them!

2. Possibly because they, like the rest of us, had no idea.

3. skills324

skills324 New commenter

very true- they clearly had no idea.

So what happens now? People are saying to download resources you might need for the future- but will and should we be able to use them?
    Do I tell staff at my school (who i'm sure will be unaware)? Will all heads and all LEA's be informed of this or have they? Does anyone know.
    Has this made the news or any papers? I've only heard about this from reading the forums.

I am in shock to be honest. I use sparkle box more than anything. What are others going to do- not use his resources?

4. http://primaryschoolteaching.co.uk has all of the ********** resources as far as I am aware - just search for what you are after. They aren't categorized

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've managed quite well without his resources for the last two years there are lots of good alternatives check out TES marketplace.

6. is this definitely true?
    am wondering why other LAs not banned it?

7. Msz

Wiltshire LA employed him when he was a teacher so I imagine they have been closely involved.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've used SB a total of four times so living without it won't be a problem.
    Will some delicately-scrupled posters be tearing down the carefully laminated resources from their classroom walls and searching for other stuff to replace what now seems sullied?
    I do hope not. Schools can't afford that sort of expensive gesture.

9. okey dokey
    thanks for that.
    will upset some of our ********** mad staff!

10. Msz

staff were told to remove ********** products from their classrooms by some of the LAs who imposed the initial ban so I would imagine that others will follow but do they need to be replaced by another version or would using children's work serve the purpose better

11. This has just been posted on PTRC and I hope the original poster won't object to my copying it. It's an opinion about the toolbar which has concerned me for a while in that it must be raising money for ********** in some way otherwise he couldn't afford to employ staff, pay himself and keep resources free.

COPY OF POST
    <font size="2">OH is in IT. I asked him about the toolbar. He explained it this way to me...

The toolbar COULD be used to access information on your computer. It COULD act as a Trojan or worm - a type of virus that logs information you enter or access, for example, the keystrokes you enter when you access online banking, to allow the provider to commit fraud by accessing your bank account.

It COULD also access the internet via your bandwidth e.g. to download **** via your internet connection making it traceable to you, not him.

Basically software such as the toolbar may change your internet security settings allowing the provider to piggy back your internet connection or log the information you enter online.

Whenever you install anything you need to question how legitimate you think it is and how much you trust it. Software from someone such as Barclays is probably very trustworthy but software from log_my_keystrokes.com would be highly dodgy!</font>

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

They were often a bit pink-and-blue for me. I confess to a tiny bit of schadenfreude when I think of people tearing their hair at the prospect of learning to live without SB.
    I agree with what you say about children's work but there's no way I'd take down the perfectly innocent now-wash-your-hands posters from our nursery loos!
    Tlking of children's work, it depressed me during my time in EY how much was piled up for learning journey - not that it was called that then - consideration.
    gggrrrr

13. The resources are nice but they can be recreated easily enough with a little time and know how on the computer. I would expect some enterprising out of work teacher could do well with creating their own legitimate resources for teachers out there.

By the way, there are other places on the internet that have some nice printable, free resources. Maybe another thread for those resources is now in order.

14. Brenden

Brenden New commenter

Have we ever heard from other people who work for **********, or was he running the whole thing himself and pretending to be a team?

15. The whole tool bar thing has worried me a little bit! I'm not the most ICT literate...how do I remove it?

16. <font size="1">Control panel

add/remove programs

uninstall toolbar</font>

17. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I had the toolbar, but removed it yesterday. I think there was just an x on the left of the toolbar - all I had to do was click on it to remove the toolbar.

18. cariad2 you need to uninstall it in your programs.

19. Or if you really want to play it safe, reset your computer to factory settings. Dodgy software can be tricky to get rid of even if you apparently have uninstalled it.