1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

********** has been blocked again, why????

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kiki D, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Has anyone noticed that ********** has been blocked again by various LAs? They are claiming it is for Safeguarding reasons. Maybe I'm being naive here but I can't really see children in Primary schools accessing ********** to download some Phonics resources! It is an amazing website which cuts my resource making time by at least 50%. Does anyone know what the real reasons behind the block are?

2. Has anyone noticed that ********** has been blocked again by various LAs? They are claiming it is for Safeguarding reasons. Maybe I'm being naive here but I can't really see children in Primary schools accessing ********** to download some Phonics resources! It is an amazing website which cuts my resource making time by at least 50%. Does anyone know what the real reasons behind the block are?

3. Ok, now that makes sense! Why could we not have been trusted with this information?
    It does have the most amazingly useful resources and is very tempting to use, but yes if this opens your computer to collecting infromation, yes I see how this could be dangerous. Just to be told we're not allowed ot use it makes one long to defy and just go on it anyway! We are professionals, not naughty children who can' understand!

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We just download all the stuff at home and bring it into school on memory sticks to print out. It's a nuisance, but we still get the lovely things. I have heard that it was not just the worries about the toolbar thingy, but also a dislike of Over-Sparkled Classrooms by county advisors which led to the ban.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I'm not surprised
    The toolbar isn't acceptable, imo. I certainly wouldn't install it on my home computers, so understand why schools don't want it.
    And the sameyness about the resources is pretty depressing - although not a reason to ban it!

6. That definitely does make sense. I will just download from home and print at school. Classes can be oversparkled and quite a few heads have complained about that. It's all about balance. We are teachers, what do we know? :)

7. I can see why you'd get in trouble for downloading the toolbar. Don't think we'd be able to install it if we tried as you have to be logged in as administrator on our system.
    I sometimes use ********** resources and cannot see the problem with them. What particularly amazes me is that the LA would complain about overly Sparkleboxed classrooms - it's quite nice to have some uniformity in displays and I see no issue with using lots of their resources, providing that they are appropriate to your class and used within your work. If their complaint is with teachers who just print out and stick up stuff without thought, then banning ********** is not going to help - they will just find another website that does the same thing. ********** is not the problem.
    The whole thing seems a bit odd.
    giggle. xx

8. Superking has given the same reasons my LEA sent to us on FRiday. How amusing.

Shame cos it has some useful bits and I always forget to put them on my memory stick at home!

9. inq

inq

Thank you for this thread - remonded me to print out resources for tomorrow!

10. Are they not more worried about other initiatives competing with government control? Would they complain if classrooms were over-SEALED for instance?

11. ********** toolbar is known to seize up networks - it searches continally for new resouces - taking up bandwidth.I had heard this from out IC t techs long before the LA blocked it

Mind you, I was long before that annoyed at teachers printing 30 -40 sheets out in colour , which affected my iCT budget!

12. London grid also blocked in all schools so staff find at home and print in school

13. If you read **********'s blog they categorically deny that they need to register with the Data Protection register and that they have taken legal advice. They also state they use TRUST-e. Surely it is possible to unblock the site and prevent download of the toolbar which seems to be the problem. My LA is Bucks and we have exactly the same problem. There are a lot of very unhappy staff.
    http://**********.blogspot.com

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.hgfl.org/hgfl/custom/files_uploaded/uploaded_resources/5261/**********.txt
    have also issued a statement

15. Happy New year all!
    In veiw of all this ********** site will probable close down. I am going to pass on this info to the rest of the staff. And advise them to download any resources they my need in the future.

16. Msz

I have to say that when I was made aware of the issues concerning ********** (back in the days before his products were free) I decided to remove all products from my classroom but as Elementis says it is down to individuals needs for free ready made resources.

17. Elementis you will have to excuse my ignorance I didn't know that he gets money from his toolbar. In school we all wondered how he was able to make them for free, plus pay his staff too. Will past this onto the staff now and leave it up to them.

18. Msz

<u>Dependable Revenue Stream Keeps Teaching Resources Free</u>
    Samuel King was a teacher for a short time and started ********** because he saw that
    teachers need access to free teaching materials. With time and increasing popularity,
    ********** became a significant source of revenue for King
    With the addition of ads onhis site and revenue from his Conduit toolbar, King not only has a staff, but can nowcontinue to offer his site for free. "I wouldn&rsquo;t be able to keep everything free without the income from the toolbar.
    Almost half my visitors are toolbar users. <u>The same people who are addicted to my toolbar are the ones who drove the income on my site. </u>
    My community toolbar is 100% integral to **********."
    http://storage.conduit.com/MediaKit/Case_Sparkle_FIN.pdf