1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anything introduced during your teaching career really made any difference?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by albertdog, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Following on from the thread about 'painful and pointless initiatives', I wonder if anyone can think of anything that really has made a positive difference to their teaching, the learning of their students, or school life in general.
    I am still thinking.......

2. being free to create my own practice ranks highest of all for me. Individual decisions to take the OU Ad Dip Ed in Maths or M.A. in ED made a big difference-for a few years- until the NC steam rollered in a curriculum which presumed less training and seemed to teacher-proof teaching. Building a "tool kit" of many practices and solutions to problems, again useful if I were able to always draw upon them. I enjoyed INSET days and went on 6-10 per year, even on supply, mostly self funded. The bandwagon type inset, forced upon everyone on the staff, for dubious initiatives which mostly weren't about developing depth of expertise were the insets I didn't value. I don't really feel using green ink made a major difference to my pupils' progress, but attending a year's inset on specific subjects did. If able to have controlled my own destiny, I'd have given around 4 years specific additional training time to each of ten subject areas, and combined them in primary to teach at a level beyond which was conceived by government(s).

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Nope. Can't think of a single thing that was introduced that made any difference, and some of them were re-discovered and introduced again a few years later! (Still made no difference...)

4. yep - guaranteed PPA time, the best thing that was ever given to primary school teachers

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I have to agree. I finally got some of my life back!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Baker days that brought in an extra 5 days a year of useless meetings.

7. Not if the primary teacher was on supply, or an NQT was seeking a job, then the opening of the door to using those not qualified as teachers to do the job of teachers has had immense present and future implications. There was never a law against ppa, my first school gave all staff the equivalent when I joined the profession in 1973, the difference was a teacher, member of staff who was outstanding at music, took music and a humanities subject in our 10% alloted, and created a phenominal music tradition in the school. We had three school orchestras, doing a rota of performing at daily assemblies, accompanying the music, something like 150 children involved in this and music competitions. Modern ppa will probably have a TA or cover supervisor, cover on the cheap.

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Speaking as a parent (I haven't taught since moving from England to Scotland 3 years ago), it's lovely that all Edinburgh state schools have EVERY Friday afternoon off. The children go home at 12.30. We used to enjoy catching up with friends and just having an early start to the weekend. Not great for working parents though ... and the council must save a fortune.
    Now that the tartettes are at private school, they no longer have these afternoons off but we do miss them.

9. Projectors and interactive whiteboards!

10. A lesson i learned, back in the chalk days, was not put put any into my jacket pockets. Any left there would inevitably get reduced to dust, which then made its way between the lining and the fabric of the jacket. When the jacket was dry cleaned, all the dust would set like polyfilla.
    I must admit, when I started this post, I was wondering if anyone considered if any of the 'initiatives' introduced over the years had been beneficial in their teaching; I had not thought of technological change. I agree that computers have been a boob, as has been the Internet. One problem is that it seems to be thought that must be used for everything; hence death by PPP, etc

11. I lost a bit of weight when 'healthy eating' banned doughnuts from the school canteen. Apart from that..zilch.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I lost weight when i stoppd having a free school fully loaded plate in return for doing dinner duty..and then eating a meal at home.
    Not having to do a duty at dinner time became a nice boon in the end as i managed to get more school books marked......shame they dont let us have our own kettles in the classroom like i did in thise days....saved a long walk to the staff room.
    talking of banda and roneo.....i was lazy.in secondary. It was quicker to write it on the blackboard and make the kids copy rather than face the hassle of the typists who did your roneo and banda in the resouces centre.......in a one hour lesson i could cover up the 8 blackboards worth of writing.....and all in chalk lol

13. I have to agree with Interactive White Board.
    Also photocopiers
    Although I do still remember the smell of the banda machine with fondness.

14. Also - the BBC programme "Numbertime" - that was my utter saviour or my sanity when I taught in reception. 20 mins of bliss.