1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

has anyone worked in a really tough UTC?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tonymars, Nov 14, 2018.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I've just been offered this.

New school. Only my subject (English). Possibility of medium/long term. Apparently so "tough" I may be able to earn £200 plus.

I would expect -please correct me if I am wrong - terrible behaviour and significant motivation issues, especially among the re-sit students, possible dangerous environment. I would not anticipate being able to teach in the normal sense of the word.

I am, however, tempted by the money, and by the fact that if I take it, I can drop it at any time.

Any experience and/or advice would be very welcome.

2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

£200? A week, then forget it. A day? Bite their hand off.

3. tonymars

200 a day. Sorry don't know the phrase bite their hand off. If it means go for it that's my thinking right now. If it is dangerous what if I and/or a student get injured? I'm not a wimp, am experienced and pragmatic, but what's the catch I am asking myself? 200 in today's climate?

4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

This sounds dodgy. Any details?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. tonymars

I only know what I have posted jolly. Awaiting further detail. I am in London.

6. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

I'd offer to do a trial day/week and then reassess...

Mermaid7 and tonymars like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

I wonder if this job is in the UTC itself, or in a sort of PRU, run separately. If the former, from the candid description in the advert, it must be some sort of place! In Harrow Borough, there is what used to be a PRU but which is now run by some MAT. The place is staffed by TAs, with qualified teachers only brought in on an ad hoc basis, hourly paid. For a year at least, it was trying to get teachers to work as volunteers. I was sounded out a couple of times, which is how I found out about the place. If yours is such a place, £200 per week sounds about right; for the same amount per day, there must be a catch.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have a pretty successful UTC in my home city - but the Maths and English re-sit classes are still awful

pepper5 likes this.
  9. tonymars

Thanks for the post jolly. I will probe further

My contact at the agency definately suggested 200 plus a day

10. tonymars

No clarification from my agency contact yet despite requests. I'm starting to think he's been over egging.
    :mad:

pepper5 likes this.
  11. tonymars

£200 a week jolly?! Are we talking about the same London?

More research reveals:

spanking new building
    very small staff numbers
    school still having 2 open evenings a month
    some famous and monied sponsors
    slick marketing but careful reading shows concerns
    second headteacher since opening just over a year ago
    current headteacher looks like a teenager

My instincts tell me to be wary but for 200+ a day... unless my man at the agency is telling porkies...

12. tonymars

Ah yes. Was porkies. 170 a day PAYE and hours 8 to 5.

13. Jolly_Roger15

I am afraid so! London is saturated with would-be supply teachers, especially in the secondary sector. Even for the 'supposedly' shortage subjects of maths and science there are too many teachers chasing too few jobs, so rates are rock bottom. People of my age, 63, are inundated with offers to work on a 'voluntary basis'; as opportunities to 'put something back'.

I am sorry the job was not as it was advertised but £170 per day is about twice the going rate. Having said that though, poor recompense for spending eight plus hours in that sort of environment.