1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone weaned before 4 months?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by DilysPrice, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I have met a mum who fed her baby mashed up sausages and chicken nuggets! Others who give babies bits of ice-cream or chocolate mousse "as a treat." I think fruit and veg is a pretty safe bet!
    No idea if/why the guidelines are different in other countries and for every piece of research telling us why we should do something there's another telling us why we shouldn't.

2. Not at all landaise. I don't think I made any reference to your experience, just to the research you mentioned.
    What a very rude post! I'm pretty sure I didn't shot Dilys down in flames as you put it, I was just trying to point out that the guidelines are useful when dealing with families who do not have as much common sense as the mums on here. I also said that I agree that mums know best and that I felt weaning at 4 months was fine.
    As you say this is a forum for teachers (including those who can't get a permanent post like me). I thought you may think it was weird that a school would send an email to it's staff about research concerned with weaning and so I thought that pointing out that I worked for children's services would explain this.
    My post was essentially saying that I think that it is fine to wean now if you think LO is ready and I'm not sure exactly what I have said wrong? I would say I'm very sorry that I seem to have offended you somehow but after such a rude response I don't think I'll bother.

3. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

I really didn't mean to offend- because you're post has made me breath a sigh of relief. I hope I didn't shoot your opinion down- I would never want to do that. Thank you for posting I thought you were bang on!!!

4. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

breathe- breath. i've also lost the ability to spell.[​IMG]

5. Blimey landaise calm down. Pink's post was perfectly reasonable. And re: the crisps- baby crisps are made from corn and not much else so perfect for an occasional snack when they're old enough.

6. Extreeeeemely rude!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Totally agree! And I give my son those organix crisp snacks, he'll maybe eat 4 or 5 of them. It's not like I give him Walkers crisps or something!
    I'm sure in a few years time they will change the weaning advice. I'm pretty sure when I was a baby the advice was to wean at 3 months.
    I wasn't able to exclusively breastfeed unfortunately, but I wonder about research sometimes - i mean, who's it done by? I'm hoping to EBF my next baby.
    I wouldn't wean a baby early in the hope that they would sleep through - some babies just don't sleep through, no matter what they eat.
    One of my friends weaned her son quite early, maybe 18 weeks, and he eats everything going, whereas I weaned my son just before 6 months and he's a really poor eater.
    I wasn't EBF, nor was my sister, yet we never had allergies or anything whereas my brother was EBF and had asthma and excema.
    I think you just do what's best for your child, but obviously think it through carefully.

8. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Chicca your post demonstrates beautifully how every child is different, thank you!
    I myself am quite partial to an organix corn crisp!!!!
    Once again thank you all for taking the time to advise and support me [​IMG]

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

The spicy tomato ones are the nicest I think! The raspberry and apple cereal bars are good too. I'm quite impressed considering how vile the jars of baby food are. I've only ever given my son jars on the odd occasion, and haven't done so for a long, long time. They generally taste of nothing.

10. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

I know yuk I used to gag giving it to my first- it was far easier and nicer to make my own.
    The big fat wotsit type ones are my fav, particularly once they've gone soft!

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    I genuinely don't know what " children's services " means as I don't live in Britain so it means nothing to me. If that is ' extremely rude ' I hope you're never confronted with an expression you're not familiar with. Dilys wanted other's experiences, mine is from a few years ago now AND from a different country. Every country seems to do things differently, I know that when in Britain I couldn't find anything similar to what I fed my babies so we always had to take everything ( including the water to make the bottles up ! )
    The main thing is, Dilys has received lots of opinions and the general consensus is that no one knows your baby like yourself and going by feeling is not a bad thing. After all, that's how we learn to be parents, isn't it ? [​IMG]

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Slightly off topic Landaise, but what is the view in France on things you can't eat in pregnancy? Last time I was pregnant my French friend thought I was mad for not eating certain cheeses, saucisson sec etc and she said that in France women would still eat them.
    I have lived in France, but a long time ago, when I was 21, so pregnancy wasn't on my mind then! I also worked as an au pair for the Summer, but the kids weren't babies.
    I do think every country does it differently, but also that the advice constantly changes. I read/heard somewhere the other day that they want women who exclusively BF to wean a bit earlier.

13. landaise- it's referring to someone by the inverted commas and quoting something they've said that i consider rude. But never mind- I'm over it.

14. Rude is rude, wherever you live. I don't doubt that landaise knows she was being very rude, some people just enjoy looking for an arguement on here where they don't have to say it face to face.
    As for eating LO's crisps, I think that they are all horrible! He seems to like them though.

15. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

To answer your question, Chicca, the view is that you should avoid products made rom untreated milk ( so anything that is made from 'lait cru' ) and of course raw eggs, so no fresh mayo. Nothing wrong with saucisson though ( but not the skin, yuk !)
    If you are Toxoplasmosis negative, as I was, you have to be careful about eating rare meats, especially lamb.
    If you have a cat and are Toxo neg, you must wear gloves when cleaning its litter tray ( the germs are in its faeces )
    I agree that things are very different in different countries, here it's perfectly OK to bottle or mixed feed, there's no pressure to breast feed (but it is always recommeneded if you possibly can )
    Your last comment is precisely what I was remarking on to Dilys ! Hope all goes well for your second, Chica!