1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone weaned before 4 months?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by DilysPrice, Feb 6, 2011.

1. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Hello all, the question is self explanatory really. My little is 15 weeks and not sleeping when she was going for 4-5 hours a night, it is early I know but I'm in a quandry! Any advice please.

2. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Hello all, the question is self explanatory really. My little is 15 weeks and not sleeping when she was going for 4-5 hours a night, it is early I know but I'm in a quandry! Any advice please.

3. Is she wanting to feed all night? Could it be a growth spurt?
    Unless your health visitor says so, I wouldn't advise early weaning.
    My LO was 20 pounds at 16 weeks, and we managed to hold out until just before 6 months. He also didn't start sleeping through until about then, either.

4. It really isn't recommended when they are so young. A couple of my friends started their LO at about that age and had lots of probs later on. have you tried hungry baby milk for last couple of bottles at night?

5. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

She's breastfed and has been feeding all night for about 2 and a half weeks. I don't want to try hungry baby formula as my 1st was really constipated on it. We'll keep at it for now!

6. Maybe just give her a bottle of regular formula last thing at night? It does take longer to digest and is more filling. Aptamil 1 didn't constipate my baby when she was mainly bf although other formulas did. Might save your sanity if it means you get some sleep!

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

15 weeks is quite young to wean, and I wouldn't want to unless advised to. A couple of my friends who exclusively BF their babies weaned early on advice of the HV as they were dropping down their centile lines quite a bit.
    I mix fed for 10 weeks, then formula fed, and I do find it funny when people suggest formula to get a baby to sleep through because mine certainly never did! We tried the hungry baby formula, and it gave him loads of wind, which he never usually suffered from. He had cow and gate stage 1 right up until 18 months when we stopped giving him formula altogether!
    He went through a stage about 5 months when he was waking up loads, but we didn't wean him until just before 6 months. He was 21 lbs 9oz at 6 months.
    Maybe your baby is just having a growth spurt?

8. My baby is now 6 months and was weaned from 17 weeks which is the earliest experts say it can be done from. We used the hungry milk from 15 weeks as he was hungry about an hour after an 8 oz bottle and had started waking for feeds in the night when he had previously been sleeping through. I have friends who weaned from 3 months against thed wishes of her HV and a friend whose doctor has okayed her giving her 16 week baby some baby rice in a bottle last thing at night. I would suggest asking you rHV / GP for some advice. Hope you get sorted - i found it so hard from getting those good sleeps to waking up twice a night again!

9. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I weaned my LO (on the advice of the HV) at 15 weeks - she started sleeping through again and it didn't do her a jot of harm :)

10. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

Thanks all for your replies, lots to think about- madenglishgirl it's great to know that I'm not the only one to consider weaning early thank you [​IMG]

11. Good god i thought this was completely frowned upon!!

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

So did i! I have to admit, I put a tiny bit of baby rice in my son's bottle a couple of times, but it made no difference anyway, and when i mentioned it I got told it was a really bad thing to do!

13. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

He was about 6 months old.

14. I originally weaned my little man at about 16 weeks because he wasn't sleeping and had always done so previously. I then stopped it at about 18 weeks and then waited until he was 6 months as the solids were giving him really bad wind and stomach aches. I made the decision to stop the solids and start again when he was older. I found that he was much more receptive to taking them and still eats really well now at 11 months. When I started them again, I started with simple fruit and veg purees from Annabel Karmel. The second time no stomach aches or bad wind. If you think you could wait. In my opinion you might be better to do so. My little man was mixed fed with both breast and formula you might find this helps. But do remember that you know you little person and what ever you decide will be the right thing to do.

15. I started weaning my 3 children at 16 weeks - they were all so hungry. Even my twins who were premature and were tiny when they were born. It has done them no harm at all and they are all good eaters although they still all love milk in the morning and evening. I think you know whats best for your baby. I was made to feel eternally guilty for not breastfeeding and then for "early" weaning but I bet you couldn't pick them out now from the other children at nursery. And they have had no additional allergies, coughs, colds, etc that the experts warn you about.

16. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

It is strange that we can make one another feel so guilty, I bottlefed my first as breastfeeding didn't work and was made to feel hideous. You are so right as a mother you do know what is best but early weaning is frowned upon andI've questioned myself as a result. I've researched it to high heaven and finally come across a hysterical article in the British Medical Journal, I'll have to get the link and post it!

17. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Yet only last week I heard a report that says exclusive breast feeding for six months or more does " more harm then good " and makes for more allergies and food intolerance plus children are more likely to develop asthma and other such problems. This was published in the Lancet and says the fact that some babies are exposed to so little variety means it shocks their system when weaning ( finally ) takes place.
    Mine are all teenage now, but when they were little, they were eating solids at THREE months ( fruit and vegetables, meat was introduced at four months ) and I was encouraged to give them fruit juice from six weeks ( bought from the pharmacy in little unidoses )
    They were all sleeping through the night at six weeks and we never ad any major weaning problems apart from them not liking certain things.
    This was just food for thought, times and opinions change but you have to be flexible as every baby is different. I realised mine were getting sick of having the same thing several times a day and were ready and willing for solids. Don't feel guilty about doing what you think is best for your baby. Some of the " breast is best " and the " set in stone " brigade then happily talk about feeding their baby snacks of crisps.......enough said !

18. We had an email about this at work (I work for childrens services) and unsuprisingly the research was carried out by people with links to the baby food industry.
    I agree that 'mum knows best' and most health professionals that I work with will accept that not every baby can wait until 6 months to be weaned. However I have also come across many mums who have weaned early because their babies were 'starving' and whose baby has the most bottles/started hungry baby milk earliest/started baby rice first seems to be something to boast about. These mums seem to think that because their baby isn't sleeping through the night they need 9oz bottles of hungry baby milk every 3 hours as well as baby rice as early as 12 weeks! There also seems to be a common belief that big babies will need food earlier but both of mine were well over 9lb and BF and were weaned at 6 months.
    I like to think that the mums on here have a bit more common sense than that! Personally I think it is better to wait until as close to 6 months as possible but if you really think your baby is ready and seems hungry then you could try them on one meal a day, keep it simple and take it slowly. Keep a close eye on baby for any reactions and like someone suggested, if he is struggling with it you could always stop and wait a few more weeks. My main experience of babies with allergies/intolerances were weaned on inappropriate foods which I think is more damaging than just early weaning itself. As long as the food are appropriate (as in just pureed fruit and veg or baby rice before 6 months) then I'm sure you will be fine.
    If it is purely a sleeping issue the best thing I found was giving LO a bottle of expressed milk before bed rather than a breast feed as it would take hours for him to fill up from the breast but got what he wanted much quicker from the bottle.

19. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

I certainly think we're a lot better than that!
    I've also read that the 6month rule was adopted by the UK but not by other european countries-why??? Could it all be political??? Just a thought.
    But for the record the fact that she was sleeping 4-5 hours and is now waking regularly since week 12)at 2 hourly intervals despite feeding all evening makes me think she is hungry. But what are the inappropriate foods that have been used for weaning just incase my common sense has gone as well as my figure, hair etc

20. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Well looks like I upset pink when I spoke about my experience and the fact that " what's best " seems to change as often as the wind direction ! I might add that this is in France so there are differences too.
    I started them on pureed fruit and veg from baby food pots, I didn't make them myself as the stuff sold here is pure fruit/pure veg with NO added sugar or salt. Pink actually mentioned that she considered this acceptable ( the idea being that fruit has a natural sweetness so is more easily accepted by baby's palate )
    Unacceptable foods would be meat/fish and definitely no eggs. Weetabix too is not good for young babies as it does contain salt. Chocolate is out before 18 months I was always told ( so why do they make baby chocolate puddings ? )
    I stuck with Nestlé/Gerber/Blédina baby food here and Hipp when in Britain for my youngest.

I wanted to express my point of view, Dilys, because you DID ask for opinions from people with experience of early weaning. I hope you appreciate even though " I work for children's services " ( whatever that means ) didn't. There are plenty of other forums where you get shot down in flames for your opinion, shame this one could be turning into that too. I thought TES was mostly for teachers......