1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used maths on target books please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi. I'm on a final year trainee teacher placement after easter, with a year five class. I've seen the resources the school uses but I'm allowed to branch out and use other things as well. A lot of people on my course have recommended investing in a copy of the maths on targets books. Can anyone who has used this before, advise me on this please? How effective is it and what kind of approach does it take to learning mathematics? My placement school adopts a problem solving based approach and like the pupils to be provided with opportunities to learn independently so will the maths on target books fit in nicely please or not? I'm in a class where there is such a wide range of abilities and as a trainee teacher, I'm always on the lookout for new and effective resources I can use to enhance my own practice. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Apologies for the bad grammar. Pressed send before correcting what I'd written. I meant to say that I'm a trainee teacher in my final year at university and I am on teaching placement after easter. Everyone will know what I meant to say. It's just been a long day and I'm very tired, but that's no excuse. Sorry!

3. They are useful books but by the sounds of it not for your next placement school. They are useful in that they provide pages of activities based on the maths units and that each page has an LO, little bit of useful into for the task and then and A easy B middle C hard choice of questions. But it is what I would call number crunching, not really open ended exploration.

4. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Are these the same as Target Maths books? They sound similar.

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi reddevil, you're absolutely right- they were rewritten as the publishers feared with some justification that nobody would buy anything that wasn't framework linked, so now they say things like C1, D2 etc. at the top of the page.Goody.
    But they still have the same level of differentiated content and yes, are essentially the same as the old Target Maths ones. I like them. And they are great for getting children to decide what level of work to try!

6. Thanks everyone. I'll be teaching a year 5 class. I'm going to give them a miss for this placement but they may come in useful in the future when I have my own class. Thanks for the input. It's something I'll keep in mind for the future.

7. Hi Andrew,

Do you still have spare copies of these books please? I'm looking for a Year 3 answer book if possible and a Year 4 book?

Best wishes,

Mandy