1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used a Kindle in a Primary School

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peterfogarty, May 22, 2011.

1. peterfogarty

peterfogarty New commenter

I want to try an experiment. I want to see if Kindles can boost Primary school children's reading and foundation subject knowledge.

Next year I am really lucky as I will be teaching Native English in a Romanian school and so I will be teaching to all 6 year groups.

I am wondering on if anyone else has experience of this as I could find nothing about it online. I also wrote a website http://www.k4r.co.uk to explain my plan in more detail.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Please don't do this. The Kindle is killing bookshops and is no substitute for a 'proper' book. Books are meant to be tactile. I can see your thinking in that the technology will encourage children to read, but the novelty will soon wear off and you'll be back to square 1!! There are only limited publications available for Kindle. I would be introducing your reluctant readers to a range of authors and letting them find their own favourites. Not resorting to gimmicks!

3. Agreed. Actual books are an experience in themselves for young children. I find it deverstating at the number of children I teach who are already loosing their interest in books in favour of things they can interact with on thier DSi! I'm all for children being confidient and independent with technology, and most of them can teach me a thing or two, but real books in schools have to stay!!

4. Devastating.
    Losing.
    I'll presume "confidient" was a typo.

5. typing never has been my strong suit! Whoops!! lol!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But if you are teaching in Romania, you won't have access to kindles surely will you?

A theoretical study isn't really going to work is it? And you will need to study the effects over a very long time. Something like children who have had access to kindles for reading since Reception class have a much higher reading age by the time they leave primary school. You can't really just have 'yeah I use kindles and the children love them' as evidence for their benefit.