1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone tried 'Diet Chef'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Seadream, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

bombaysapphire - I tried Slimming World last year but after losing just under a stone I stopped losing any weight. I stopped going to the meetings too as all the did was spend the whole meeting talking about each individual person's there's 'gain' or 'loss' so it was a bit mundane. I know it sounds lame but I also found it hard as I didn't know anyone there and they were all in cliques either younger or much older than me.

Do you think that Weight Watchers would be similar? (It's years since I last went to them) or would you highly recommend? I also love my pasta - am I allowed pasta?!!

2. Weightwatchers certainly allows pasta!

You can do Weightwatchers at home or on-line if you don't fancy a meeting.

No reputable diet will ban any food. ...It's a sure-fire way to make you crave it!

Pasta is a terrific food. You need to take care with sauces. Tomato bases are 'healthier' choices than cheese ones...obviously!

As for your OH....firstly cut back on all his 'special cuddles'...show him just how much will-power you have!..Tell him that when he helps you feel good about yourself, you'll be more inclined to make him feel good too!
    Then if you are veggie and he isn't, how about he agrees to one meal a week at first where he eats veggie? Nothing drastic - a tasty Shepherdess Pie (one of my faves!) or a lentil bolognese (sp?) is something he may not even notice is meat-free.....Other meals, sausage and mash (easy on the butter and cream!) ...Burger and Oven-baked Chips...you can easily substitute a veggie version for yourself....and then stock up the freezer with one-portion veggie meals for yourself (or one portion meaty meals for OH!)...it takes a little effort, but you can do it!

3. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

What about a bit of psychology training....buy biscuits if they only come in a snack pack variety, the same with crisps....That way, each time you want more biscuits, you're forced to open a new packet. .It's a bit of a crying shame that your husband can't keep his chocolate habits to himself...that would get on my nerves. Mind you...sometimes, when I'm tempted, I'll invent a little voice in my head; 'no, you don't want those pringles, think of all the damage they'll do to you.' I find too, if I exercise and drink a significant amount more of water, I'm not so tempted to eat. Being busy is really important too. I try to limit my bread intake and instead, stick to potatoes, couscous, rice or pasta. I guess you need to have lots of cheese if you're vegetarian. Buying a strong cheese like Parmesan can help because it's a stronger flavour, and you want less of it. The same counts for chocolate. Buy Lindt 70% cocoa solids and you'll want less of it, it's so rich. (There are cheaper versions in Lidl and Aldi). I hope this helps. I'm on a salad craze at the moment - how do I make them interesting so I'm experimenting with vinaigrette. By the way, I have to lose some weight because if I don't I might have to have an operation. Is there anything like that, that might make you think, 'I HAVE to lose weight or else?!' That can be a powerful motivator. I've heard weightwatchers is motivating, if peer pressure can help. I hope something here helps....
    MM

4. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

#
    Tee hee - he'll get very cross at that suggestion - I do actually tell him that I'd be up for more 'special cuddles' if I felt good about my body !

Thanks for the other advice x

5. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks for all the advice. I do need something to motivate me - at the moment it's the fact that I'm the biggest of all my friends and all my family except I am slim....

6. If you have a smart phone (iPhone, Android) that type of thing that you can download apps that help you keep track of calories in and calories out. If you don't have a smart phone you can still do it online for a lot of them. Such as this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
    You could use that as a motivator?

7. marmot.morveux

You can do that on an Excel spreadsheet - I did that briefly last year and had a weigh-in once a week. If you do it with a friend, it can be even more motivating.
    MM

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Isn't diet chef really expensive?
    I find exercise is the best way to lose weight and obviously eating healthily too. I never lose much weight unless i exercise a lot, even if i don't eat much.
    I've got 2 young kids - my son is 2 and my daughter is 3 months - and i'm trying to lose my baby weight. I lost pretty much all of it after i had my son by gymming lots and just watching what I ate.
    I have a personal training session once a week and go to the gym 3 or 4 times on my own too. In the past 5 weeks i've lost 2 inches off my waist and 1.5 off my hips.
    I try to eat protein with every meal, and cut down on carbs. Luckily my husband is supportive about healthy eating, and if he wants to eat junk then he can get it on his lunch break at work! I do have enough willpower to not touch his food if he gets a pizza or something. We want our son to eat healthily too, and have a variety of things.
    I think you should just eat healthy meals and watch portion size...maybe have your dinner on a smaller plate?

9. No amount of diet chef or other expensive fad will work. You nee to adress the emotional and mental issues of overseeing or you will never maintain any sort of weight loss.

10. Well woop de do! I would never have thought of that.

11. marmot.morveux

I was waiting for you to say that eggnchips :)

12. Bit naughty really.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

There is a lot of waiting around at the meetings and quite a few people seem to come with friends so it can be hard to chat to other people. The meeting tends to be covering different areas of advice and we spend quite a bit of time sharing recipe suggestions which is useful. The leader at our session is very friendly and makes you feel welcome despite the cliques.
    You are allowed pasta but the portion size for that is very limited. Cutting back on the pasta, bread and booze will be what has made the most difference to me. It's also what has made it hard to stick to during the holidays. I find it a lot easier to do in term time. It will get harder as you get closer to your ideal weight but I still have a fair amount to shift so I am going to keep going until Christmas with the aim of losing another 2 stone.
    I like the activity points. If I feel the need to stuff my face then I get on the exercise bike to balance things out. I can also save them up for the week if I have a party or something coming up.