1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone taught in Sharjah?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by loujb, Mar 7, 2011.

1. I am absolutely amazed (see other post!) that I actually at long last have an interview [​IMG]
    Am v v happy...but also interested to know people's experiences of teaching in this emirate. I won't say the school or post will disappear!!!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Congratulations and good luck for the interview, loujb.
    Sharjah is right next door to Dubai. In fact, it is almost impossible to say where Sharjah begins and where Dubai ends. When you are driving from one to the other, you do not see big signs saying "You are now leaving Sharjah and entering Dubai". Anyway, Sharjah is rather nicer and smarter than Dubai, in my opinion. Of course it is supposed to be "dry", but you can buy your booze in the other Emirates and take it to Sharjah.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

There used to be a hole in the wall in Sharjah in my day for booze, is it still there?
    Sharjah
    [​IMG]Dubai
    If you look very carefully there's a line in the sand....

4. I think it depends on what you're looking for out of a job... in Sharjah the lifestyle will be pretty bad for a single person... you won't be able to go to bars etc in that Emirate. If you want to have a good social life, you'll need to hop across to Dubai. For a family, however it will be okay. Not great, but okay!

5. why not great? we're a family of 4, 2 little-uns. Are any schools especially good/bad? If so, please pm!!

6. mountaingoat

mountaingoat New commenter

Will you have to pay school fees for the children? Worth checking. Will you both be working? Expensive if not!

7. tica

tica New commenter

As a family with two kids we worked in Dubai but lived in Sharjah where rents are cheaper and when we were there you could get a villa with garden for Dupartment prices.
    It is straightforward to get to Dubai to sample the delights(?) and there are plenty of things your kids will want to do. We joined the Wanderers club in Sharjah which is not particularly luxurious but allowed the kids to join in teams and allowed us to drink although the rest of the Emirate is dry.
    It is going to be the choice of school rather than Sharjah itself which will determine whether you enjoy the experience or not.

8. tica

tica New commenter

Sorry that should say a villa with garden for Dubai apartment prices.

9. It's just sand and buildings there... much fewer westerners and generally not as shiny, modern and Western friendly as Abu Dhabi or Dubai. But that is just my opinion. I have a friend who worked in a dreadful school... I'll get the name and PM you.

10. I have 2 boys as well and my wife does not work. I have applied to nearly 15 jobs all in Dubai and qatar and I haven't had a single reply.
    Do you think its because of the fact that I have 3 dependents, it makes me an expensive option?

11. Yes. Schools pay for two children. Schooling in the emirates is expensive and you want a UK education which means big money.

12. Sharjah is fine for about 200 metres from the edge of the water along the Corniche. Once you hit the Industrial Area you will be forgiven for thinking you are the bad end of a Third World city. As for the person who says you can buy your alcohol in other emirates and bring it back. No, you cannot. Get caught and expect an airplane ticket out. This is especially true for western males who look suspiciously out of place in Ajman Freeport. Sharjah Wanderers is the most obnoxiously racist establishment. Colleagues of mine were denied membership because he was from another Middle Eastern country. If you are a white American who drops your trousers in public with monotonous regularity, you are acceptable. Say no more.

13. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

This misses the point. Just buy it in Sharjah.

14. Might that be rule of the country, rather than the club. here in Egypt, there are clubs that only allow non-Egyptians. If they (Egyptians) are in there drinking, the club gets closed.
    We do frown upon getting the danglies out though....

15. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Is there any other kind?