1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone taken their pupils to Futuroscope recently?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by marmot.morveux, Jan 15, 2012.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I'm planning a visit soon for my year 10s and I'd be interested to know if anyone has taken their pupils to Futuroscope recently? As we only have small numbers doing French (2 GCSE groups of about 15), I was going to make it cross-curricular. I've had a look at the various attractions there, and I thought that Futuroscope could be ideal for technology, geography, science and art pupils. I also thought that we would visit Paris on the way. Soooo MFL teachers, I'd like your opinion; que pensez vous? MM

2. marmot.morveux

I forgot to say, my French pupils have been badgering me for a French trip for ages. I've tried offering an exchange at my school - it didn't work due to low numbers taking up the offer. These pupils have been to Boulogne and Lille and Paris and Disneyland, Paris - they loved all the visits. I'm wanting to do something different. I wasn't impressed by what I saw on the parc Astérix website - which, I guess would have been the ideal choice, because we could've combined it with various Paris attractions. I have to bear in mind that some of the pupils in my French groups have already been to Paris, but I thought they wouldn't mind again, if there was something else spectacular to see. I've looked at the Futuroscope website and it looks good, but I've never been. MM

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

My Year 9s have been badgering me to take them to Futuroscope ever since they got wind of it in the text book. I regularly organise a Year 8 trip to Normandy, but would consider an extra trip for this group as they are a really great bunch. I've never run a trip to Futuroscope, either. Some years ago there was a company called SEE which organised Homestay visits (I used them a couple of times and they were good). They used to run a trip to the Poitiers area with visits to Futuroscope an option. Sadly I know not what has become of SEE (have googled - to no avail) but I should like to try to investigate something similar for our Year 9 / 10 pupils.

4. marmot.morveux

Well...I'm looking at Rhapsody Tours and Schools into Europe at the moment and I'll see who gives me the most competitive offer... Although, we've always gone with Schools into Europe in the past... I'm tempted to do everything myself...but it's such a faff!

5. buttongirl

buttongirl New commenter

Well, we're in the very early stages of toying with a cross-curricular French/Science trip to Cité des Sciences, probably for next academic year. Futuroscope was the other possibility but think that it's less travelling in a bus to Paris than Poitiers (we're in West Wales)! I'm new to the school (since September) and although the department's done trips in the past, the current year 8/9s have not had the chance to visit France before and I think it might persuade more of them to carry on with their French into GCSE if they can give it a bit of real-life use before they finish Year 9. I'll keep you posted with what we're planning once we get ourselves out of the starting blocks :)

6. My last experience of Futuroscope was 10years ago, but it was an excellent trip. Make sure you stay in one of the adjoinng hotels then you can stay to watch a late "spectacular" and walk through the connecting Hotel /park gates avoiding crowds and getting the coach. The exhibits (were 10yrs ago) more 3D than standard "rides". the good thing about that is that the students benefit from listening to the French. We also visited Amboise (small town, castle, chocolate factory that gives tours and later hot chocolate & croissant in their tea rooms) and La Rochelle. It is a long way to travel.

Good luck Helen

7. marmot.morveux

I was wondering about the distance too. I've seen another visit to Belgium, that would take in Bruges, Brussels and Ypres (and would include visits to those towns, a chocolate tour, a theme park and a visit to the EU commission or parliament) - I think I might have more luck selling this visit than Futuroscope - my main fear is when I talk to the pupils about Futuroscope theme park, would be their immediate expectation of rollercoasters. Also, a significant amount of the pupils to whom I would advertise this visit have already been to Paris. I guess I'm thinking about the educational points (and the major selling points of the visit.) In the past, we have advertised visits and struggled to fill the places.