1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone supplied for a Grammar/independent School?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ninasimone, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Just a quick ask reference supplying at Grammar/independent schools. Has anyone been to one before and what experiences they have had. I ask as there may be a possibility of supply at such a school but the daily rate is, at best, rubbish (£100 per day)...and this is to do the "normal" duties expected of a regular/permanent teacher.
    Am I correct in thinking that Independents can dictate there own supply rate terms and thus leaving little room for negotiation for a supply agency to argue a case for a better daily rate for a highly experienced teacher?

2. Just a quick ask reference supplying at Grammar/independent schools. Has anyone been to one before and what experiences they have had. I ask as there may be a possibility of supply at such a school but the daily rate is, at best, rubbish (£100 per day)...and this is to do the "normal" duties expected of a regular/permanent teacher.
    Am I correct in thinking that Independents can dictate there own supply rate terms and thus leaving little room for negotiation for a supply agency to argue a case for a better daily rate for a highly experienced teacher?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Many would disagree with that comment compared to what they are being offered via agencies and when you consider what JSA is per week . . . !

4. I did an indie school once on supply. Pay rates were naff, Loads and loads of duties.
    My indie day was teach all lessons, breaktime duty every day. They sent a cup of coffee out to me. One of the youngsters was tasked to bring it.
    Lunchtime was, you can have a free meal as you do your lunchtime duty.
    Behaviour great- however where I was, there was a lot of EAL and in an indie school they can't afford the support.
    This was just before the recession!
    I enjoyed my time however the constant being on duty in the cold (it was winter) was a bit of a bind.

5. That's right Lara, I get the grand sum of £75 a day for carrying out the normal duties of every other member of teaching staff...

6. ...the comment was made assuming a good economic climate, which of course at the moment, it isnt. The comment also highlights again the lack of value many now place upon qualified teachers and I didnt even remotely wish to insinuate that being on JSA was a walk in the park. I have also suffered like many others the diabolical levels of pay of agencies and also been "forced" into accepting CS work. I say, forced, because the current situation for most supply is pretty frim at the mo and as such getting ones foot in the door by accepting some CS work seems one of only a limited amount of options. That said, in a good climate and everything else being equal, £100 per day is not commensurate to employing a qualified teacher

7. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Hello ninasimone
    I did a 4 month long-term supply period in an independent school last year and loved it. PM me if you want more info x.

8. Hello Miss,
    ...so was the pay commensurate with your experience and expectations?

9. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

I went for an interview yesterday in an independent school-loved the schools! Students were lovely-If there is chance of supply at such a school-take it!!

10. Payrates should be exactly the same. I've been doing supply at an Indie and I got paid my normal daily rate -135. If I were you, I wouldn't accept less than 120.

11. I am used to city schools, but once worked in an independent school and did not like it because the head of department was far more bad mannered than any I had encountered in a state school. The students were poorly motivated and seemed to expect me to do all the course work for them. The school was well-resourced, but that seemed to be the only good thing.