1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone set up Facebook Group page for learners?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ATTICAN, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi All

I have realised that all my learners are all hooked up to FB. I do believe there is massive potential here to maintain some level of cantact via groups. Is theree anyone here who has seen , heard of anyone doing this. Any advice on best practice here would be welcome and of course I am aware of the ethical/safeguarding issues involved. Thanks guys and keep on doing the good work.

2. Hi All

I have realised that all my learners are all hooked up to FB. I do believe there is massive potential here to maintain some level of cantact via groups. Is theree anyone here who has seen , heard of anyone doing this. Any advice on best practice here would be welcome and of course I am aware of the ethical/safeguarding issues involved. Thanks guys and keep on doing the good work.

3. Great intentions, wouldn't go there though on so many levels.
    VLE is a better bet IMO as its running through the school system ensures more security for all stakeholders.
    Anything where there is interaction of the nature FB sees cannot (again IMO) be the best way to share information ane learn. Blogs kids can read and you can answer questions to and then post would be slighlty less of an issue if all interaction went through the school system.
    Net traffic is transient and whilst FB is popular now it potenitally won't in 6 months a year or however long and its poor method for sharing learning IMO.
    Speak to your IT guys at school to see what the scope for VLE based or blogging is as soon as you start playing with 'privacy' features on FB you are potentially playingwith fire.

4. DM

DM New commenter

We have had this conversation several times. It is potentially a child protection minefield. My local authority has consequently banned schools from having any Facebook contact with students (or parents!). The safe platform for this is the school VLE.

5. Don't set up a Facebook page. End of story.

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

That's good
    So you have already had it.
    You know, if you want to do this properly, set up the facebook page and link it to a twitter account.
    I think that will really catch on...

7. I work in HE. I encourage my students to set up facebooks groups so that they can share issue. e.g. if someone has a problem with the work, or things something about the hwk is wrong or whatever they can discuss that.
    It works really well. I join the groups so I receive notication emails on topics and sometimes intervene. It also means I am aware if there have been serious problems with the homework before the lesson.
    Obviously we have a VLE but I find facebook works much better. Keep your own account totally secure.
    How sad this is being banned from schools! It seems crazy. Check your school policy and make sure you stay in line with it.

The advice on this forum is very anti-teachers getting invovled in social media. So much so you might even think it was coordinated!

8. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

I think Facebook is a wholly inappropriate mode of communication between teachers and pupils in any circumstances. It is not possible to totally separate personal and professional in that environment. And the potential for private contact is also a minefield.

Personally I go as far as to think it is not appropriate for me to be on Facebook at all. I understand others may disagree on this but it is essential that privacy issues are addressed robustly. It worries me that my wife is on Facebook and I have noticed that a friend of a friend is a pupil.

This is not to say that all social media is inappropriate although a good VLE could do most of the job. I don't have this at my current school but I make good use, particularly for post-16, of a blog. Feedback can be given, importantly this is public. Uploaded documents can be linked to. I am also available by my school e-mail address (which is published on the school website). Any inappropriate contact from a pupil or parent would be immediately reported - though this has never happened.

9. I think for any teacher it is always very wise to put their own reputation first. Speaking with pupils on Facebook has so much potential to go horribly wrong. If I recall correctly, the professional associations (I'm in NASUWT) advise teachers to stay clear of interacting with pupils on social media. In my school there is a clear policy, never, ever add a pupil on Facebook.

I can see how if everything goes well then Facebook could be a good way of communicating but is it really worth putting your career on the line? I would say no, never.

10. What an interesting discussion!
    I know my union is doing extensive research at present to improve the quality of advice it give to members.
    Hopefully things will be clearer soon.[​IMG]

11. HE?
    Home Electricals?
    as in a department store?
    What one thing is different between the learners you <strike>claim to</strike> work with and those in primary and secondary education?

12. DM

DM New commenter

I bet they appreciate that.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Those of us currently working in schools have had recent safe-guarding training. That is why we are anti communicating with students via social media.

14. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

I am afraid it <u>is</u> co-ordinated ... by local authorities. We have been told by the LA that we must not use Facebook with pupils. End of story.
    For dinosaurs like me who haven't ever Facebooked (?) this is really not a problem.
    The people who are potentially at risk, though, are trainee teachers, particularly youngsters (eg early 20s) who have grown up using social media. For them it is natural to "friend" everyone they meet and breaking this habit with school pupils, some of whom are only a few years younger than they are, may, in some cases, be difficult. I would hope that all HE institutions are warning trainee teachers about using FB with pupils.

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Same in my LA Nazard. I think it's a sensible decision which protects staff (and pupils).

16. I think this is pretty much across the board in schools, no Facebook adding. And yes, it's easy to see how it might be a problem for those who have grown up with Bebo/Facebook et al. From a personal point of view, it's simply not worth the risk. I'm even wary of using email.

And besides, there seems to be something not quite right about the teacher being 'on call' outside of normal office hours. These days we are all being pressured to be available during lunch time/afterschool so evenings/weekends need to be protected from having to interact with pupils.