1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone on here left teaching and became a TA / LSA?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by freckles88, Jan 6, 2011.

1. I am considering leaving my teaching course to become a LSA. Basically, my main reasons for wanting to give up teaching are that I love being with the children and helping them to learn new things and progress, but the workload that goes with it is just too much for me. When I was on placement I was working 90+ hours a week, stressed to the max and suffered from high blood pressure and migraines throughout and I realised this is not the life I want for myself. I want to be able to come home on a night, cook tea and have a glass of wine with my partner and chill out, not have to throw a ready meal in the microwave and start marking a load of books or planning lessons.
    I am wondering if anyone else has taken the plunge and left teaching to become a TA? Did it work for you and are you happier now? How did you cope with the pay cut (I have never actually got a paid teaching job so I will know no different as I have only ever had a saturday job whilst at uni, but how do you cope with on a low wage?)
    Also, when you applied for jobs as a TA how did you justify leaving teaching? I am worried that if I tell people I left a teaching degree people will think of me as a 'dropout' or jump to the conclusion that I can't cope with stress or hard work, which is not true at all, I just want a job where I have a life outside of work! Plus as I never got a teaching job as a full time teacher I worry people will think I gave up without trying to be a 'real' teacher. How did you overcome this? I will however leave with a Primary Education Studies degree so I will still have a degree to prove that I can write assignments and work to a dedline etc etc.
    Thanks in advance =)

2. You might find useful responses on the TA forum too.