1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone linked the maths APP points to their planning?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dowager_countess, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I don;t know if this is a good idea or not but am thinking that perhaps each bullet point could be linked to one or more units from the National Strategies...

For example, "recognise simple equivalence between fractions, decimals and percentages eg 1/2, 1/3, 1/4" - Well we know this comes into block E1, so wouldn't it be helpful to have a list of every "bullet point" for each level and a link to the unit its in??

I am an NQT I admit, but I know there are people struggling out there with APP, especially in maths. I'm at the stage now when every time I open my APP folder I want to cry. Just a lot of random ticks and dates from last year. I look at point 1 on level 3 (I teach Y4) "Understand place value in numbers up to 1000", just where am I supposed to get this evidence from? Our school says it must be "concrete in their minds, so using their books doesn't count as it's supported learning". I just don't know where to start time after time. Therefore every time I "do" maths APP I do it in a different way, using different methods, creating a very inaccurate teacher assessment.

Then I sit there and ask myself questions like "Well there wasn't a question on applying written methods in that end of unit test so how am I supposed to get the evidence for it?" Even though I know they know it as I am their teacher.

End of rant!

I seem to have got distracted a bit! Sorry, there is a serious question at the top there about bullet points and units, anyone done it or is it a silly idea?

Any suggestions welcome! I will accept "go to bed and forget about the stupid thing!"

2. I don;t know if this is a good idea or not but am thinking that perhaps each bullet point could be linked to one or more units from the National Strategies...

For example, "recognise simple equivalence between fractions, decimals and percentages eg 1/2, 1/3, 1/4" - Well we know this comes into block E1, so wouldn't it be helpful to have a list of every "bullet point" for each level and a link to the unit its in??

I am an NQT I admit, but I know there are people struggling out there with APP, especially in maths. I'm at the stage now when every time I open my APP folder I want to cry. Just a lot of random ticks and dates from last year. I look at point 1 on level 3 (I teach Y4) "Understand place value in numbers up to 1000", just where am I supposed to get this evidence from? Our school says it must be "concrete in their minds, so using their books doesn't count as it's supported learning". I just don't know where to start time after time. Therefore every time I "do" maths APP I do it in a different way, using different methods, creating a very inaccurate teacher assessment.

Then I sit there and ask myself questions like "Well there wasn't a question on applying written methods in that end of unit test so how am I supposed to get the evidence for it?" Even though I know they know it as I am their teacher.

End of rant!

I seem to have got distracted a bit! Sorry, there is a serious question at the top there about bullet points and units, anyone done it or is it a silly idea?

Any suggestions welcome! I will accept "go to bed and forget about the stupid thing!"

3. Personally this seems ridiculous. If a child has worked independently and has recorded it in their books, then I would say that is perfect evidence. If it has to be 'in their minds' how are you meant to evidence things like written methods of multiplication or division?!
    JSY x

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

As I understand APP, and I am no way an expert, You have to prove the children are capable of doing tasks at a distance from the teaching. At the end of each unit I do and end of unit assessment and after a week into a new unit I do an at a distance assessment for the previous unit.

I also have quick early morning tasks which the children complete, for English and maths, while I am doing the register. This isjust a simple quick task such as what is the value of the underlined digits, 2 addition calculations with working out shown, etc. This gives me quick additional evidence and also lets me know if any children need extra support for areas covered.

I also, give a SAT style test at the end of each block (1,2,3). This gives me additional info and allows the children to become familiar with the test format.

Hope this helps a little.

5. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

boy oh boy, that HAS to be a prime example of going looking for extra work!

6. I knowwhat you mean, we have had lots of staff meetings about this - the strategy doesn't match the APP grids.
    What I have been doing this year is writing the objectives from each unit e.g. A2 on my plans as usual, then writing the appropriate APP strands I can match to my planning on plans and obs sheets. Then when I come to update my APP all of my evidence is on obs sheets and it is obvious which APP statements I can highlight.
    Hope that makes sense.

7. If you look at the unit overview when planning it clearly highlights the APP strands that can be assessed in the unit.

8. I like this, thanks. I think I will be trying this one.

9. Yes it does but aren't we supposed to be assessing them after the unit has been taught? This is what I don't get. If I have just taught a few lessons on measures, I'm supposed to wait a week or two to "look for those who measure to the nearest 2mm"? How do I do that if we are now doing something else?

10. Some 'advisors' suggest that but we observe and assess as we go along. When we were moderated for our levels the external moderators were very pleased and satisfied with the assessments that we had made.
    If we aren't sure that a child has secured a certain objective during a unit we will pick it up at a later date in a quick 'snapshot'.

11. Part of the idea behind APP was to give pupils an opportunity to talk about their maths and to be assessed using means other than tests. In many ways it was giving a formal set of Assessment Foci around which to base the AfL work we have all been doing for years. It was only at a later stage that it got hijacked and turned into a level generator.

In answer to the question of how long to leave the assessment after completing a block of work, I've not come across any hard and fast rules on this.

I teach in secondary/do outreach work in feeder primaries. What we have found works well is to use a mix of assessment (mini-whiteboards, games and matching exercises in addition to formal written work) and to have those resources matched accurately to the Assessment Foci. We have used the Modi APP Maths Toolkit in addition to our own resources and found the mix has worked well. It's still a lot of work but at least the need for moderation has reduced and everyone has a uniform set of materials to work from.

As an earlier poster has done, we matched the APP AF's to the teaching blocks that were already in use.