1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Has anyone left a PGCE course...yet go onto teach?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by greasychipbuttie, Apr 8, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

I left a PGCE course in Oct 2018, due to various personal issues and am now considering my future options. One being, starting a PGCE or SCITT in 2020.

Has anyone left a training programme and returned and completed the course?

When I left the Uni left the door open to returning and I also believe that my skills tests are valid for 3 years, so 2020 would be my expiry on applying.

Just looking for some advice and to see if others have left a course but gone on to teach?

Thanks for reading...

2. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Unusual, but as your uni felt your personal reasons were valid enough to say you could try again why not?

But finance? I think that will be an issue. That's your first thing you need to investigate.

Secondly a reference would be required from your first uni. Any new uni will want to know about why you left.

School based teacher training is tough, I had a placement at a school where most quit every year after a term. But they may be less fussy especially if other unis turn you down.

Lastly I only know of one guy who got his PGCE but not QTS. He worked abroad as easier to do. I haven't come across anyone who started a PGCE, quit and went into teaching.